Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,581   Online: 974

Shooter
    35mm

Changing contrast with

multigrade paper. I have a color head on my enlarger and would like to use the filters to change contrast. Do I increase magenta to increase contrast and by how much per grade?

Thanks

Shooter
    35mm
    Read this PDF from Ilford: http://www.ilfordphoto.com/applicati...load.asp?n=432
    It has the settings to use with a color head and VC papers.

Shooter
    35mm
    You will notice in the PDF that you use a combination of yellow and magenta to control contrast. The more yellow the lower the contast, the more magenta the higher the contrast.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no single answer to that question. You are correct in assuming that more magenta = more contrast, and that more yellow = less contrast. However, each paper has its own response to filter changes. You can't expect the same result from say 30M with Ilford paper as you would with Kentmere or any other. The fact sheet that comes with the paper should give you some starting points for the more popular color heads. Some use a combination of magenta and yellow in an attempt to make the exposures between settings consistant.

Shooter
    35mm
    You might want to look at Ralph Lambrecht's site Darkroom Magic. All sorts of info there about a number of subjects

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm

Thanks

to all for great information.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin