Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,957   Posts: 1,558,054   Online: 1092

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Still going strong (but no inversion!)

Fascinating! I've still got my original Paterson Major Tank. Any offers?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    What a great site - THANKS
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a box full of Paterson Major and Major II tanks, and the Major II's come in single, double, triple reel varieties. In fact I've almost all the tanks illustrated, except the very latest series where I only have a 120 tank.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    My late Father, a native of Glasgow, used to speak of Gratispool in the '50's. He considered it almost revolutionary then when the usual practice was to spend a large amount of your wages on film and processing at your local chemists. Contact prints were the name of the game and enlargements were for truly special occasions only.

It's only when you look at the timescale of analogue photography that you realise that it had only really come of age for the ordinary enthusiast when it suddenly fell off a cliff, commercially speaking, within probably less than a 5 year span due to digital photography.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have and use one of those Paterson 35II tanks.

http://website.lineone.net/~mauricef...Pat35%20II.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great link Keith! I recall being in the big lab in Clydeholm Place in the early 80s (Gratispool page), and memory puts it as being International Photo Finishers or something similar. I seem to recall that they were even flying in films from Holland to Glasgow and these would also have been back with the customer in about 3 days or so.

On the Ilford Chronology section, I now know that the Harman in todays Ilford Harman isn't exactly a new investor!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Ilford 35mm Monorail Camera was an interesting `oddity` and I wonder how the Johnsons Unitol developer was formulated. According to the source, it was formulated by A.R. Pippard in 1950.
    Last edited by Keith Tapscott.; 05-26-2007 at 08:56 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the link to this fascinating site. I remember using the Gratispool film with its paper negatives but I didn't get very good results but then in the 1950's, when I was a boy, my camera wasn't much good either!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That Envoy wide angle looks really interesting !
    Excellent site thanks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin