Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,541   Posts: 1,572,772   Online: 882

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Develop color film in B&W chemistry?

Hello.

I have two old (20 years) Kodacolor Gold 200 in 110-format that I want to test in my pocket instamtic. However I haven't find any lab in Sweden that still process 100-film and since I don't develop C41 myself I wonder if it is possible to develope it in B&W chemistry (HC-110)?
    /Markus

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    for what this is worth, several years ago i had a student develop some black and white c41 film in hc110. Very strange looking negatives, but printable.

i wouild give it a try, nothing too lose and you will discover if the shutter is working.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Diafine. Diafine will give you printable negatives. There's a fellow here named Nicolai who cross-processes C41 and E6 films in Diafine with interesting results. Here are links to some of his stuff:

http://flickr.com/photos/nicolai_g/62287070/ (Astia in Diafine)
    http://flickr.com/photos/nicolai_g/83861375/ (Portra 400CN in Diafine)

Diafine is the miracle developer. Give it a try.

Sanders
    Last edited by Rolleiflexible; 05-25-2007 at 11:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    I've used Diafine to develop a few rolls of C-41 and it works ok. In fact I was thinking of doing this for the exact same reason, using some expired 126 film in a Retina Instamatic Reflex. The results of C-41 developed in B&W chemistry are usually rather grainy. I understand the dark orange film base can complicate making wet prints (I use a film scanner with all my negatives so I wouldn't know.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have gotten printable results in HC-110. I don't remember the times, I did it by inspection. The orange mask created no issues printing on graded paper. I don't know how MG would respond to it. The negs were just a bit on the low contrast side.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've seen this done with 35mm color film (recently) in HC-110, and it comes out rather nicely.

I've tried it with D-76, and it comes out, but doesn't work well.

As to printing, the ones I saw came out OK on graded paper, though, as mentioned, the contrast is on the low side. On VC paper (Ilford Multigrade was used), the results were extremely inconsistent, but muddy and very limited in contrast overall.

On a somewhat different note, CORRECTLY (color) processed C-41 comes out really nicely on the same paper. It's a tad low in contrast, but, IMO, it looks really good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ok, sounds like i'm going to try it

Diafine sound fun, but I dosen't seems to be avaliable in Sweden. So I probably have to buy it from germany or UK if I want to test it.

However is it anyone who have an idea of which developemt time I should use (5, 10, 20 minutes?) and at which temperature?
    /Markus

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi,
    I tried this a very.....long time ago. I used Microdol-X at 68 deg. I do not remember the time tho. I do remember the negs looked ok, but had a orange cast. And the orange cast was a good safelight color as I layed one in a contact printer for a good 10 min, and no print. Perhaps this had something to do with the film at that time.

Jennifer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone tried to process XP2 using B&W chemistry?
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Snapshot, I've done XP2 in D-76 and TMax developer, treating it as if it was Tri-X pushed to 1600 as far as times go. The results were ok.

I also developed it in B&W and then ran it through C-41 to get slides. The slides were greenish, but sort of came out.

In B&W chems, it comes out OK, though there is a slight color cast to the base. (This was a year or two ago, I don't remember what color it was, but it wasn't bad.) I also seem to recall them taking forever to fix out. I did not try to print them, but from the looks of the negatives, they would've printed ok. Although it came out, it certainly would've been much much better when processed correctly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin