Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,854   Posts: 1,582,909   Online: 994

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

Kodak D-23 developer

Hi,
    Looking through old photography articles here in the UK, I came across some pretty interesting recommendations for this old Kodak developer. I understand that it is a present day made-up developer from chemicals (which I am not into!).
    Does anyone know if there is an equivalent proprietary developer still being made? I am not even sure what the constituent basics of this developer comprise.

Regards Kathab

Shooter
    Multi Format
    7.5grams of Metol
    100 grams of Sodium Sulfite
    All for 1 litre of stock developer.

Not much harder then mixing any other developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, there is a pre-made version from Photographers Formulary. However, it is probably not worth it to have it shipped to the UK. See:http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...ion=0&langId=0

As previously stated, you can easily make it yourself and it's good stuff.

There may be a UK equivilent for pre-made, I don't know. Perhaps other UK readers will know.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathab View Post
    Hi,
    Looking through old photography articles here in the UK, I came across some pretty interesting recommendations for this old Kodak developer. I understand that it is a present day made-up developer from chemicals (which I am not into!).
    Does anyone know if there is an equivalent proprietary developer still being made? I am not even sure what the constituent basics of this developer comprise.

Regards Kathab
    Kathab, if you follow this link, you can buy a back issue of Black & White Photography magazine where D-23 along with D-76H and the Beutler High Definition Developer are compared. All of these are easy to make and you might prefer one of the others. You will need to buy the issue dated `March 2007` (Issue No.70).

http://www.thegmcgroup.com/item--Bla...y--1003BW.html

Images
    You can mix 2 level teaspoons of Metol and 4 tablespoons of sodium sulfite in a liter of water and will never know the difference. A standard teaspoon is 5 ml and a tablespoon is 15 ml, just in case we're different over here.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    P.S.
    An old (American) recipe was 1 ounce (av) Metol and a pound of sulfite in a gallon of water.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

D-23 Developer

Thanks guys for all of your contributions, they were very helpful!

Regards, Kathab

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Link.

Here is an article written about Kodak D-23 by Derek Watkins.
    http://www.iconpublications.com/photon/july95/d23.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    P.S.
    An old (American) recipe was 1 ounce (av) Metol and a pound of sulfite in a gallon of water.
    If you do this, just be sure to use a US gallon of water as it is a lot smaller than a standard Imperial gallon.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was initially concerned about mixing my own chemicals at one time. I thought I would screw it up or poison myself. Now I have fresh chemistry when ever I want it and if I want to try something new, I just go for it. One thing that helped me was getting chemistry from the Formulary - all the ingredients were in seperate pouches. I was mixing my own without buying any extra. It wasn't long before I was buying a lot of plastic jars of chemicals and weighing out what I needed myself. Now use a nice scale with .02g resolution and an electronic chemical stirrer. I have a small microwave in the darkroom to warm liquids if necessary. Fear of mixing my own was completely unfounded and I am quite happy with my inventory of powders for making darkroom magic.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin