Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,923   Posts: 1,585,003   Online: 1110

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Les' comment raises an interesting question. Does Warmtone paper in Cooltone dev produce as cold a print as Cooltone paper in Cooltone dev? David Brown's comments would suggest not in his experience but this is an inference on my part based on his last sentence. ...
    Maybe ...

Let me elaborate on my prior post.

In my unscientific test, I took a negative, and made 2 sets of 4 pairs of identical prints. (16 prints) One set on Ilford MGIV and one set on MGWT. The pairs from each set were developed in Kodak Dektol, Ilford Multigrade, Harman Warmtone and Harmon Cooltone. Then one from each pair was selenium toned. This gave me 1 print with each of the combinations of paper/develop/toner.

I had intended to post the results in the gallery here on APUG. However, the results were too subtle to survive scanning and screen display. Although after this thread, I may try again anyway. There were differences. However, (IMO) it takes viewing the actual prints under different lights to fully see the impact of the differences, hence my decision not to scan and post here.

"In my opinion", the most striking difference between any of the developers on the same paper was the Cooltone on Warmtone paper. This is only compared to the other developers on warmtone paper. Now, as to the question: "Does Warmtone paper in Cooltone dev produce as cold a print as Cooltone paper in Cooltone dev?" In my opinion, not quite. Given the extra cost of warmtone paper, and other variables, I would not start with warmtone paper in the first place if I wanted cool tones to begin with.

But, there are printers out there who use nothing but warmtone paper. If they were occasionally faced with an image that needed a cooler treatment, then keeping a bottle of the developer on hand would make more sense (to me) than buying a different paper.

And, of course, another paper will be different!

Hope this doesn't muddy the waters too much. And as always: your mileage may vary ...
    Last edited by David Brown; 05-30-2007 at 04:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Just to be clear about this, Different papers will react a different amount, and Ilford MG only has a very subtle reaction? I noticed Forte Polywarmtone had a very strong reaction, is that not because it was FB but because it was a WT paper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used the cooltone dev with Ilford Warmtone paper then selenium toned. This I've found gives a nice result, it holds back the warmth of the paper but still allows it to react with the Selenium.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by UKJohn View Post
    I've used the cooltone dev with Ilford Warmtone paper then selenium toned. This I've found gives a nice result, it holds back the warmth of the paper but still allows it to react with the Selenium.
    I agree this combination selenium toned can be very nice - it can give a slight split reddish/blue tone.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk View Post
    Just to be clear about this, Different papers will react a different amount, and Ilford MG only has a very subtle reaction? I noticed Forte Polywarmtone had a very strong reaction, is that not because it was FB but because it was a WT paper?
    Right, the tone of RC Polywarmtone is also very dependent on the developer. Also takes a strong tone from gold toner, the strongest I've seen, if you're looking for a blue tone.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I use Ilford Cooltone developer with Adox Polywarmtone and Foma Fomatone papers. My own view is that the cooltone developer really only comes into its own when toning. Particularly with the Foma paper, the cooltone developer neutralises the inherent warmth in the darker tones. If I then tone the paper in selenium and/or sepia, I get the lovely, strong effect that warmtone papers produce with these toners but with much more neutral blacks than would otherwise be the case. This produces a very nice split-tone effect of warm highlights and neutral (not cold) blacks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had a 250 sheet box of Ilford FB Warm Tone paper sitting here from a misc goods large auction purchase. It is matte and the few times that I've attempted to get some use from it, I was disappointed in the bland look that it had and assumed it was shelf ballast for me. I recently decided to try some Ansco 130 (the benzotriazole variant). I was doing some wedding candids and for fun, I tried the paper/developer combo. This paper really came alive with this developer. A slight Selenium bath and the shots have a very nice impact and make a good solution for this project. I should be more quick to try combinations that don't initially seem compatible, I guess.
    Craig Schroeder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin