Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,062   Posts: 1,611,506   Online: 1086

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By the way, how are you determining zone I. It should be at least .1 above film base plus fog. In fact, I prefer .15 to .2 above fb+f.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Peter,I am determining Zone I at .1 above film base plus fog. I am curious as to why you prefer .15 to .2
    My Zone VIII is 1.67 (minus 0.11 from the unexposed negative), so I need to adjust development. (Mike thanks for the Adams ref.; it was right under my nose and didn't realize it).
    Amazing how testing materials takes on a life all of its own; I hadn't done it in a very long time and I admit that I'm getting wrapped up, anal and obsessive about it. I'd like to think that it's worth the time and effort.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With a little more exposure than the .1 above fb+f you get better separation of tones in the lower zones. Once you get your development time nailed down, go take a picture of a full-ranged scene, one with significant shadows. Expose one sheet as per your tests. Now expose a second sheet twice as much. (I.e. cut the film speed in half, double the exposure time, open up a stop or whatever.) Develop both exactly the same. Now make prints. Which tonal rendition do you like better? I usually like the one with more exposure better, but it's a matter of taste.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Peter, You're up too late. It's bedtime! Seriously though, I do what you just described with my 35mm Tri-X; so now you have me thinking of the possibilities...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin