Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,011   Online: 1176

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Instant Films
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    If they are in a dust free place and dry to touch, they do not need to be taken down.unless you need the space.

FWIW, we were taught in ye oldene dayz that if you could leave a neg to dry for twenty four hours, you would get sharper results because by then the neg had "cured."

Whether that old lab rat's advice was sound, I know not; but when I have the time I do that. when not, then he taught that a quick alcohol/water bath would dry the negs in a jiffy. I rarely use that approach.

Anscojohn, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Hello! I am not a photographer, but I'm an aspiring author and one of the characters in my latest book is a photographer.
    I was wondering what kind of camera you are holding in your profile picture... It looks very old and antique, which is exactly the kind of camera I want in my story....
    I know this is a strange request, but I would really appreciate any information you can give me: about the camera, the model, when it came out, how well it works, the film... The more info the better!
    Thank you very much,
    Alex

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Squeegeeing film should be a no-no. A small piece of dust is all it takes to put scratches on the film.
    Use a Kim wipe or similar, or chamois t wipe down the base side of the film, but not the emulsion. Water marks are always on the base, not the emulsion because as the emulsion dries it absorbs the water droplets.
    A film is dry when the very bottom corner is dry.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i dry my negatives either over night or for a day. i keep them in a drying cabinet i built, but i generally am not pressed for time.
    Chris Schuster
    Shutterclank!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    I Photo-Flo rinse my 120 and 8 blade film squeegee.
    With film hanging I very carefully pull the blades downward
    applying a gentil pressure. Film dries fast. The amount of
    time needed to dry depends upon the thickness of the
    emulsion and the environment. Dan
    A bathroom is a good place to dry film and leave overnight to dry. I would never use a squeegee on film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although the negatives look and feel dry, I let them hang a few more hours to allow the emulsion harden. It takes the emulsion longer to fully cure and harden, thus less chance of scratches. Like Anscojohn sez, they also appear sharper. I also use the alcohol mixed in with LFN (wetting agent)and distilled water to speed drying, I still allow extra time for the emulsion to harden.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin