Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,504   Posts: 1,597,913   Online: 1206

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

High speed film recomendations

I request and require some input from the community on high speed films. My main film at this time is Agfapan 400, in both 35mm and 120 sizes. When my current supplies are exhaused, I will then be switching (back) to Ilford HP5 as my main film.

I have next to zero experience with higher speed films. Yes, I know that I can "push" Agfa 400 or Ilford HP5 two or three stops, and have done so, with both films. What I am looking for is personal experience with the three current high speed films, Kodak TMAX 3200, Ilford Delta Pro 3200 and Fuji Neopan 1600. I currently use HC-110 and D-23 developers, and would like to stick with these two for the forseeable future.

My main considerations are speed and sharpness; large grain is not a problem as far as I am concerned. I would value input from community members who have had experience with these films.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My favorite is Delta 3200 - i shoot it at 3200 and develop it in Microphen. It does a decent job in medium format. More often than not though, I shoot TRI-X at 1600 and develop it in XTOL 1:3. - I get snappy contrast and great results
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have two favorite high-speed combos, the first of which may fit you perfectly.

1. Tri-X 400 shot at EI 1600, developed in HC-110 Dilution B for 16 minutes at 68ºF.
    Example:

2. Neopan 1600 at the stated EI in WD2D+ diluted 1.5:1:50, 7:15 at 72ºF.
    Example:

I have successfully pushed HP5+ to 1600 using HC-110 as well, but don't have any notes on it any more and I recall I didn't stick with it as I liked the Tri-X combo better.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by analogfotog View Post
    What I am looking for is personal experience with the three current high speed films, Kodak TMAX 3200, Ilford Delta Pro 3200 and Fuji Neopan 1600. I currently use HC-110 and D-23 developers, and would like to stick with these two for the forseeable future.
    I've used all three, and vastly prefer Delta for tonality. It's also the fastest, and grainiest, and probably sharpest -- certainly sharper than TMZ.

Can't speak for the developers, but as Delta has the highest native speed (in speed-increasing developers, ISO 1250+, as against 1000 for TMZ and at best 800 for Neopan), I'd think that D23 should be acceptable at 1600.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot dance and theater photography using HP5+ up to 1600, processed in Ilfotec HC, 1:31, with excellent results. If I need more speed, I shoot Delta 3200 at 3200 to 6400, processed in DD-X. I've tried TMZ, but prefer the Delta for finer grain and better tonality.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like Delta 3200 best of the 3 films. I like Delta 3200 best at 1600, and it is exceptionally nice at that speed for natural light portraits, but it can also be very nice at 3200. I have only used high speed films like these successfully in medium format size, don't like them much in 35mm. Can't help you with your developers but I don't see any reason why they would be a problem. I have only used Delta 3200 in Ilford's DDX and in XTOL. It would be hard to beat DDX developer for this film.
    Good luck,
    Doug Webb

Shooter
    Medium Format

Delta 3200 @ 1600 in Xtol straight

This is my favorite hi-speed combo. Honestly, I find Delta 3200 at EI 1600 in Xtol 1+0 to have not much more grain than Tri-X in some developers, and beautiful tones. DD-X should also be a good choice for this film.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Has anyone tried Delta 3200 in PMK?
    Paul

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you are looking for speed - it is easier not to use a developer that costs you one stop from the get go - most of the gallol cetechol p-aminophenol or microdol-x will loose you speed before you begin your push. Microphen ACU-1 Diaphine and XTOL, D-76 type developers give faster film speed to begin with - they are a better choice for a push - I used XTOL for TRI-X(1600) and Microphen for Delta 3200 (3200)

Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    Has anyone tried Delta 3200 in PMK?
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've only used Delta 3200 out of the three high speed films (if someone in town would like to start selling the other two I'd give them a try) and my, unscientific and ongoing, comparison is whether, when shooting at 1600, I should use the Delta 3200 or should push HP5.

In 120 it's easy: use Delta 3200 (in ID11 or DDX). Sharp, details in all my shadows and, printed up to 11"x11", such unobtrusive grain that I have one print where I actually went back to check that it really was Delta 3200.

In 35mm I think I'm going to give up on the Delta 3200 and push the HP5 in DDX instead. It's the grain, even at 5"x7" (which is no more of an enlargement than 120 to 11x11, I know, I can't explain), it's just so big for me that I'm looking at an "effect" not a picture. But if it isn't a problem for you... then the advantage I do see in the Delta 3200 is that for a given EI it is lower contrast than pushed HP5 so shooting in dark but contrasty light (stages and the like) I have a much easier time printing.

One word of warning, perhaps it's just me metering optimistically but, I find Delta 3200 sometimes needs a little more development than Ilford recommends (using ID11/DDX).

Hywel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin