Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,771   Posts: 1,670,985   Online: 1062

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Efke PL100m = Adox CHS 100 Art ????

As I venture into the 4x5 world, I picked up a couple boxes of cheap film.

One being a box of Efke PL100m and one Adox CHS 100 Art.

They both have the same expiration date and the same "EM" number. I am assuming this is the emulsion number.

Therefore I think they are the same film.

Am I correct?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A search on this site would show you the answer :-)

EFKE film is sold by Fotoimpex (Berlin) under the brand name Adox, which they now own, J&C were their american partners. So yes it's the same film.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Pl100 and CHS100 have a different surface and a different back side - it can't be the same film .
    Adox films are made by efke but with a different formula, they contain an hardener in the emulsion but have a lower speed (50 asa for the adox CHS100) .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suggest you go and look on the Fotoimpex site, and in particular their catalogue. It clearly states that EFKE/Adox CHS100 is the same film, as the EFKE PL100

To quote: "ADOX® CHS 25 • CHS 50 • CHS 100 Films (was efke®)
    These films are old school emulsions which are still produced according to the old ADOX formulations"

There's been a few minor modifications, like the addition of better hardeners.

The KB, RB and PL designations are purely the size of film KB=35mm, RB=Roll film ans PL is cut film.

Are you sure your not comparing CHS100 with PL50, they may have different surfaces and antihalation coatings.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Hervé V. View Post
    Pl100 and CHS100 have a different surface and a different back side - it can't be the same film .
    Adox films are made by efke but with a different formula, they contain an hardener in the emulsion but have a lower speed (50 asa for the adox CHS100) .

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

No, i'm sure because i'm using PL100 (have a look here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/3...-reversal.html) and I have tested The Adox CHS too.
    For the use in 35mm, I prefer the Efke version (KB100) because its speed is the speed on the box . the Adox films have a speed one stop less the speed on the box because of the hardener .
    JandC have lost a lot of money with their Adox CHS line , because of this changes .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I use EFKE/Adox CHS 25 in 10X8 and also have some new unopened boxes of 5x4 as well, and the film is identical in handling, speed etc to the EFKE PL25 5x4 I'm using.

The ONLY difference between the Adox CHS range and the equivalent EFKE film is packaging. Mirko at Fotoimpex owns the Adox brand name which used to belong to Dupont, and was later licensed to EFKE when they bought the Dupont plant.

The link you refer to is not comparing like with like, 35mm film base is quite different to 120 or sheet film, so has little relevance.

David B's original point about the emulsion batch number also confirms that Adox CHS is just rebadged EFKE, which is what Fotoimpex state as well.

If you've noticed changes to the films, that has more to do with changes in the manufacture, rather than what brand name the same film is sold by.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin