Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,952   Posts: 1,586,000   Online: 824

Shooter
    8x10 Format

How can I tone to get gold colored tones?

Hi:

I have a few prints that I'd like to tone to get gold colored tones in the mid tones and highlights. Gold is the ballpark color so anything close to that would be good. I have Tim's toning book, but I don't recall anything that results in gold tones.

Thanks.

-R

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

gold tones

I've worked with gold toner quite a bit. gold does not tone a gold color. it imparts a blue black on the print. sorry but most modern papers do not tone well with gold-but don't take my word for it-you may discover something I don't know...
    best, Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Tim's chapter on gold toning he actually gives some advice on how to get actual metallic gold tone using gold toner. It's on page 62 in the left column under "The midas touch -- metallic gold". It sounds like it's a bit unpredictable, very paper dependant, and the process requires bleaching, redevelopment in a lith developer, and then gold toning directly from the developer (before fixing). The process doesn't technically sound too hard, you just need the right paper and chemistry.

Tim hangs around here, he'd certainly have more advice.
    Paul

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    In Tim's chapter on gold toning he actually gives some advice on how to get actual metallic gold tone using gold toner. It's on page 62 in the left column under "The midas touch -- metallic gold". It sounds like it's a bit unpredictable, very paper dependant, and the process requires bleaching, redevelopment in a lith developer, and then gold toning directly from the developer (before fixing). The process doesn't technically sound too hard, you just need the right paper and chemistry.

Tim hangs around here, he'd certainly have more advice.
    Thanks! I don't recall the chapter notation, but I"ll go look it up. I recalled that gold toner gives a blue tone, but I had never heard of it actually imparting a gold tone. Very nice!

-R

Shooter
    35mm
    Depends on what you regard as "gold". Have a look at R Hicks and F Schultz " Perfect Exposure" page 162. It's a small portrait of Sophie toned in sepia then gold. They call the tones peachy which may be a more accurate description but I'd say her hair comes out quite gold. Not the bright yellow gold of course which you often see statues painted with but nevertheless a delicate golden look. At least in my opinion.

For portraiture it looks a great combo. The book isn't essentially a printing and toning book as you will have gathered from the title but well worth a look for the effect described above.

pentaxuser

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin