Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,536   Posts: 1,646,071   Online: 910

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Found old film in bought filmholders

My 'new' 1943 Anniversary Speed Graphic came with six 4x5 filmholders. When checked in the darkroom they were loaded. The film feels dusty and has square notches. The camera itself looks like it had not been opened in many years, as it was dirty outside but very clean inside. Any ideas what type film this is? It may be unexposed, as the white flags in the filmholders were out. It may be fogged, it may be dead. How best to develop it to find out? If it's old enough it could be ortho...develop with safelight on? Advice sought!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would develop in total darkness. HC-110b seems to be the most popular choice for old film, as it is a very clean working developer that keeps age fog down. I would develop for about 10 minutes at 68f. Expect some fog.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ragc View Post
    My 'new' 1943 Anniversary Speed Graphic came with six 4x5 filmholders. When checked in the darkroom they were loaded. The film feels dusty and has square notches. The camera itself looks like it had not been opened in many years, as it was dirty outside but very clean inside. Any ideas what type film this is? It may be unexposed, as the white flags in the filmholders were out. It may be fogged, it may be dead. How best to develop it to find out? If it's old enough it could be ortho...develop with safelight on? Advice sought!
    Probably Kodak Super XX. Do a bit of checking, the notch code should tell you what it is.

Great film btw...
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Checking older documentation should be the first step. The film was no doubt part of the last load the previous owner made, so an estimate of when the camera was last used would be helpful. Even then, several films may use the same notch code. You didn't fully describe the notches, but both Kodak Infrared and Ansco Superpan Portrait used a single square notch.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have to be back in the darkroom to check the notches. At tha time I was in a hurry and all I had time to do was notice that the sequence was short and started with a deep square. I will check tonight.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin