Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,421   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

I need a changing bag - any recommendations?

I need to buy a new changing bag. From what I see, most are very similar, made in China or Taiwan, and cheap. (Except here in Paris, where Photopro wants $130 --- I'm not kidding --- for a changing bag that wouldn't go for more than $25 in the States.)

I know about Harrison bags, which are supposed to be very good. At over $80, they're also a bit steep.

Anyone have any specific recommendations beyond Harrison?

Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Actually, the Harrison tent for 8x10 is $229. It's fantastic, the "bag" never comes down and touches the film, depositing little bits of dust... I have been so happy with this thing I can't imagine going back to a bag...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Cotton, not nylon. The biggest you can find. Harrison if you can afford it, but don't worry if you can't. I've had two or three changing bags over the last 30+ years and nary a Harrison (or Lastolite, just as good) yet.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Find cheaper bags. There must be lower priced changing bags on the internet.

At $130 and $229, you can afford to loose the roll of film! :rolleyes:

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A bag for 4x5 is easy - did you mention what size??? I use a tent now for 8x10 made by chimera I think - not terribly easy to work with but it was really well priced and has a lot of room in it - I am sold on the ones with rods in them - it is difficult to manage dust in the limp bags.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I purchase a Photoflex Changing room on ebay, like brand new, for about $22 including shipping. No instructions and a bit tricky to set up, really is nice when its up. Much better than my old (and rotting) changing bag. Since I had to replace it anyway, I thought I would upgrade.

I see this type at low prices on the auction site all the time, probably because of the learning curve needed for set up.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Photoflex Changing Room Platinum Series and I wouldn't use anything else now. Good luck, Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks to one and all. That Photoflex bag looks nice -- anything that will stop the top cloth from falling onto my hands while trying to load a reel! I've been doing this since the 1960's, so I ought to be good to myself and by something nice.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get something that can 'breathe', I had a nasty nylon cheap bag with a plasicky coating on the inside. It destroyed 3 rolls of 120 film with the condesation build up before I scrapped it.

Images
    I use an 8x10x5" plastic food storage container inside of a generic changing bag. Before I start loading the developing tank, I put the tank, film, scissors, and openner into the container. The container serves to keep everything within reach in addition to supporting the bag.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin