Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,523   Online: 1056

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don's Photo ... local shop, especially for Ilford films
    B&H and Adorama... Fuji films. I just used Adorama for the first time and am pleased; very fresh film and they are willing to ship to my office (B&H is not since I'm in Canada).
    Freestyle... Efke and Foma films.
    I buy a little film at Eight Elm in Toronto, too, when I go there. The prices aren't that great but it's a really neat store and I like to support it.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting about Don's in Regina - in Winnipeg their selection of B&W has decreased substantially, along with their staff knowledge. I was in one store a few months ago - their film fridge had a few rolls of Neopan and some TMAX, but that's about it.

I asked a sales associate about either BW400CN or XP2 in 120 format, got a blank stare - she asked someone who basically pointed at the fridge, and she proceeded to show me the Neopan and TMAX. Not impressed.

Also, the last time I brought colour 120 film to get processed (6x6) I was asked if I wanted "regular" prints made - assuming of course being a "professional" shop they knew that "regular" in this case would be square. I got back cropped 4x6 prints. Also not impressed.

So, now in Winnipeg I frequent Photo Central, which has a good selection of film (Ilford, Kodak, Fuji, some Agfa left), paper, chems (Kodak and Ilford, primarily), gear and most importantly has a knowledgable staff (older guys, primarily). They also sponsor a new-ish photography school in the city. (Apparently they outsource their B&W development, which when I used it last resulted in strange development and scratched negatives, so thus far that's the only black mark I've got against them - but I'm buying the stuff to do my own shortly, so that will be much less of an issue.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don's in Regina seems a lot better. I tell them to make 5x5 prints out of my 120 square negatives (I don't assume anything ) but they know about the black and white films, at least. They don't always have them in stock but they seem to have them in the Winnipeg warehouse most of the time so it only takes a day or two to get them.

Don's price on Ilford films seems better than US mail order prices, even before shipping. Their Kodak and Fuji prices are a little high but not ridiculous.

The darkroom and film stock in Regina has certainly diminished, and I feel a bit like an alien when I go there. Everybody is buying digital this and digital that. I feel a bit like an outcast. At least the staff (particularly the veterans) understand and give me sympathetic comments. I'm sure part of them knows what I'm feeling, even if I'm one of the handful of people they deal with that doesn't do a pixel of digital.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Akiva S.

Nikkormat FTN, Nikon F, Nikon FE, Leica M3

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kshapero/

My Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Too bad the Don's photo here (Edmonton) isn't as good as the other remaining pro lab in town. They have a good stock of Ilford and Fuji color film, but new Kodak B&W stock is slowly disappearing. I'll keep on supporting them as long as I can, until the cost of buying online is significantly better, which I'm sure will happen in the near future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For the Canadians, you might try The Camera Store in Calgary. They still have a good selection from 35mm to 8x10, and a good darkroom selection, although it isn't as good as a few years ago. I buy everything there film wise, as I'd rather support the local guy, plus cross border shipping makes it prohibitive to shop with people like B&H.
    www.thecamerastore.com

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin