Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,094   Online: 1054

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Development time for Neopan 1600 and DD-X

Neither Fuji nor Ilford give development times for Neopan 1600, rated at 1600, in DD-X. Digital Truth says 5 minutes at 20 degrees centigrade. Does anyone know from experience whether this is accurate?

While I'm at it, and at the other extreme, I picked up a few rolls of Rollie Pan 25 and want to try a roll in DD-X. Any suggestions about development time?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The ilford pdf has a recommendation.

http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/20073211236917.pdf

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Did you try it? For how long, and how did it work out?

I've seen the Ilford suggestion of 5 minutes but that does seem way too short. Fuji claim that it needs the same time as Neopan 400 at 400 and I give that 8 or 9 minutes in DDX 1+4. Yes I know Ilford suggest only 7 minutes but still 5mins for the Neopan 1600 seems way too short. Especially as my experience with Delta 3200 is that one should always develop it for the time for a stop more than Ilford suggest.

Anyone else have any experience?

I can't, I'm afraid, do any tests as I only bought the one roll (whilst overseas) to test to see if I liked it in a way I don't like the two '3200' films (in 35mm) so it really only has this one shot at being processed to shine.

Thanks,

Hywel

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Judging by the lack of posts this isn't something many people are interested in trying. However should some other poor soul be foolish enough to try in the future I should advise that 9 minutes at 20degs is too much. Way too much. Unless you've got a big box of Grade 0 lying around. And a soft-working developer to go with it.

The good news is that the film, or at least its grain, falls under my pain threshold in the way that Delta 3200 (in 35mm) is over it so I'm sure I shall be buying some more and as I develop everything in DD-X hopefully I'll be back here one day with a firm recommendation as to what a good time is. But it will be a lot less than 9 mins. Perhaps closer to 5 minutes and Ilford know what they are talking about?

Hywel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by r.e. View Post
    Neither Fuji nor Ilford give development times for Neopan 1600, rated at 1600, in DD-X. Digital Truth says 5 minutes at 20 degrees centigrade. Does anyone know from experience whether this is accurate?
    If exposed at box speed, I have had great results with 5 min. at 20 C. It is my favorite combo for low-light photography.

aparat

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting aspect from this is that with Ilford and Kodak 3200 the general recommendation is that you expose at half box speed i.e. 1600 and develop for 3200. Clearly as Fuji is rated at 1600 box speed then going to the 3200 dev time doesn't apply in quite the same way although it would lead you to think there was some sense in taking this route based on the Ilford and Kodak experience. However it seems clear that best results are at stated dev times for box speed and any increase to 9 mins only makes sense if you rate at 3200.

I like DDX and feel it is likely to be a good combo with more films than Ilford gives times for but unless there is a body of users out there with experience of other combos, I am unsure what to aim for in dev times.

However at least I now know to be wary of going to 9 mins with Fuji 1600 unless I have rated it at 3200.

I cannot compare Fuji 1600 grain with Ilford 3200 grain as I have yet to try Fuji 1600 but can add, for what it is worth, that the grain on D3200can be considerably reduced by development in Perceptol compared to ID11. Strangely enough for what is recognised as a slow speed fine grain dev, Ilford actually mention Perceptol as a dev to try with D3200 and they are not wrong in my opinion.

Anyway thanks for this thread

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    pentaxuser,

Thanks for at least seeing the logic in my decision to develop the Neopan 1600 @ ei1600 for the ei3200 time. Always feel a little stupid when you ignore an Ilford fact sheet and get it so wrong!

Hywel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used that combination for several years and several hundred rolls. I've settled into 800asa,. 5.5 minutes at 70 degrees for a slightly dense negative.

Or 640 asa if I'm concerned about shadow detail.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A little archaeology on this thread for a now defunct film - I have just used DDX 1:4 @ 5 mins/20 degrees for Neopan 1600 @ EI1600 and the negs look good. (Film has been stored in my fridge. 7 rolls left.............)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin