Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,743   Online: 1008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone have experience with the Artista brand of film, paper, and chenicals featured by Free Style Photo in Los Angeles?

I have never used Arista, but prices seem to be ok.

Comments and recommendations please!

Thanks
    Chazz

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't used it yet, but everyone, except Ilford, says it is Ilford repackaged. The films are the same thing as Pan F+, FP4+, and HP5+. Gordon Hutchings said if it quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it is a duck.

I would go ahead and try it.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use arista film all the time and I have processed it in PMK with HP5+ and it is the same stuff. I have never had a problem with it.

lee

I have been using the Arista fiber based multicontrast papers for 2 years, cheaper than Ilford, and the results are not distinguishable to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As others have said, the Arista 125 acts like FP4. I've shot several boxes in 4x5 and have been very pleased with the tonality and other properties. I'd note that at current prices it's only slightly less expensive than Agfapan 100, and therefore probably not competitive against the Agfa if you can find that locally. Pity they stopped selling their large-format Delta-equivalent just before I was ready to order a box.

I have had wonderful results with the Arista VCRC Premium. Good blacks and whites. But I don't much care for the fiber-based Arista. I prefer Forte Polygrade V or Bergger VCNB glossy papers. I have never used Arista film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used their ISO 400 film, and it looks like HP5+ and the development times are the same for whatever developer you use.

I live near Freestyle and go there all the time. I asked about the Arista/Ilford thing and once got this response:

It IS Ilford, repackaged, the way Whirlpool washers are also Kenmores, and All RCA TV's are really Mitsubishi's or something else. But...

I was told that Arista gets the stuff at such a deep discount because it takes "ends" of rolls of film. Same film, emulsion, etc. Just (supposedly) the first few feet of a huge roll, or the last few feet.

For what it's worth.

dgh

David G Hall

Sort of like buying carpet remenants? How about the Ortho film they sell. I looked yesterday and they had 8x10 for $30 25 sheets. Is it possible to use this for normal photographs?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use their ortho half tone film in making of masks and of enlarged negatives. I have not, however, used it in camera. The film is capable of making a continuous tone negative with highly dilute developers. I have used Dektol at 1-10 to 1-30 dilutions in the production of both unsharp and sharp masks. I have used ABC pyro in 1-1-1-15 dilutions in the production of enlarged negatives. The speed of the film is going to limit it's usage to stationary objects, it would seem. The film is quite a bit thinner then conventional films. I hope this gives you information that is helpful to your considerations. Good luck.

Regards,
    Donald Miller
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin