Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,562   Posts: 1,573,328   Online: 1000

Thread: Zinc Chloride

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently ordered some Amidao, and got a bag labelled Anhydrous Zinc Chloride. Is it the same thing or is it a component of Amidol? Just what can I do with this stuff - it must be useful for something (?)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They sent you the wrong stuff! Call em back and politely raise hell. Somebody didn't take time to read your order very closely.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Amidol is 2,4-diaminophenol dihydrochloride. To make a working solution you'll also need citric acid, sodium sulfite and a 10% solution of potassium bromide. At a cost of about $175/lb., I think you should insist on the right stuff.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I sent the seller an email, and he answered right back. He says it was an error and he will be sending the Amidol right away, and to just keep the zinc chloride. Doing a web search on the stuff (the zinc), I found some info on Ed's Unblinking Eye site about using it for toning. I may just give it a try as it looks interesting. Hopefully I can find some web info about mixing / dilutions and such for the Amidol. I was under the impression that it was like most other developers, where you just add the right amount of water to make your working stock.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A good starting place for amidol formulae is:

http://www.michaelandpaula.com

Azo
    Formulas & Procedures
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never heard of a zinc toner before, sounds interesting! I'd like to know how it works out.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went to the Michael and Paula and got the recipe. Looks like I need the rest of the chemicals, and will get them next payday. Thanks for the info!

I've found two uses for zinc chloride. One is to change the tone of prussian blue prints. Two is as a salt for salted paper.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin