Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,096   Online: 1009

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by z-man View Post
    "ultra bleach" on the shelf in the supermarket lists active ingrediants:
    sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide

what do you think????
    I think it's a very bad idea to soak film in anything containing sodium hypochlorite.

A developer is a mild reducing agent, sodium hypochlorite is a strong oxidising agent. Mixing the two are a very quick and efficient way of destroying your developer.

In a two-bath process, most of the developer absorbed in the emulsion would be oxidised by the hypochlorite before the high pH could activate it. Any developed silver would then be bleached away by the hypochlorite...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I mixed up a 1% solution of catechol, and a 10% solution of sodium carbonate this evening, and just ran a short roll through it. The exposures look good to my eye, and I'm surprised that APX400S stained so well; even better, the emulsion doesn't feel slimy (unlike when I use Rodinal, perhaps this is due to the hardening action of catechol?).

I'll scan the film when it dries, and have some samples up. Thanks guys!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've posted some scans to my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinl...7600480517956/

My impressions are that the pictures are rather grainy, on par with Rodinal. The tones look nice but the acid test would be in the printing. I'm amazed that something so simple can work so well.

I read in the recipe that sodium sulfite may be added to adjust the graininess of the results. Would I be right to say that a small addition would reduce the appearance of the grain?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cachetol and carbonate were the basis for Jay DeFehr's Hypercat developer. He made a lot of claims for it - other folks didn't buy his claims. I tried it for a short time, and it worked and showed promise. I just didn't have time to master it.
    juan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by z-man View Post
    hey gainer-can't find my way back to site where your aticles on vit c dev most especially using anti freeze to make non oxidising shelf solutions

can't use pdfs so i need to read on site-can you direct me?
    I'm not Pat Gainer and I don't know to which specific site you're referring, but here are a couple:

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/VitC/vitc.html
    http://www.photosensitive.ca/wp/easy-film-developers/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Low View Post
    I've posted some scans to my Flickr account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/justinl...7600480517956/

My impressions are that the pictures are rather grainy, on par with Rodinal. The tones look nice but the acid test would be in the printing. I'm amazed that something so simple can work so well.

I read in the recipe that sodium sulfite may be added to adjust the graininess of the results. Would I be right to say that a small addition would reduce the appearance of the grain?

Thanks!
    Try it - but if you add very much sodium sulfite, it will decrease and/or eliminate the stain and the tanning effect.

Also, you might try one of Pat Gainer's procedures and add a few grams of ascorbic acid - instead of the sulfite.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format

gainer articles

srs-muchisma gracias

the unblinkingeye link was what i needed

ole-it was not my intention to dump bleach in the developer-just that if you need sodium hydroxide and it is allready waiting for you on the shelf in the supermkt, re cheapo house brand "ultra bleach" -active ingrdnt sodium hydroxide @ approx 1% and if it is needed for the mix why not try that instead of diluiting down draino? but thanks for the heads up-i'm chemically challenged and dislexic so i need to be reeled in at times

vaya con dios

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Try it - but if you add very much sodium sulfite, it will decrease and/or eliminate the stain and the tanning effect.

Also, you might try one of Pat Gainer's procedures and add a few grams of ascorbic acid - instead of the sulfite.
    Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I have some ascorbic acid handy, and will try it. However, would that not reduce the shelf life of the catechol solution?

Justin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Painters Sugar Soap in Oz is a mix of carbonate and TSP AFAIK.
    I have used some as a second bath for Thornton's 2-bath OK.
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Would the sodium carbonate bath be reusable, or is it one-shot?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin