Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,085   Online: 1181

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Mixing Pextral's Two Bath; Substitute for Sodium Hydroxide?

Hi!

I plan to mix up a batch of Pextral's Two Bath developer as detailed in the recipes section.

The recipe calls for sodium hydroxide in the second bath (1% solution), presumably as an accelerator. The job is done in "seconds", so I'm guessing that a lesser base would still be effective.

For reasons of health and safety, would there be any substituting NaOH for say potassium carbonate or sodium carbonate? What ratios should I use?

Thanks!

Justin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    TSP, trisodium phosphate will likely make a good
    substitute. A ph only a little short of lye. Dan

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Carbonates could be worth trying, too. It's not the concentration that's important, it's more the pH. Using a lower pH second bath will change the characteristics, but could well give good results.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks Dan, and Ole. I will see if I can find TSP at the hardware store, but in the meantime, I'll mix up some sodium carbonate and see if that works well enough.

pH of 1% sodium hydroxide is 12.7:
    http:http://www.pacia.org.au/_uploaditems..._hydroxide.pdf
    pH of 10% sodium carbonate is 11.7:
    http://www.intox.org/databank/docume...carb/cie20.htm

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Alan, that's a godsend. A 10% solution should be a good starting point then. Thanks!

Images
    Slaked lime from the garden shop + sodium carbonate from the swimming pool shop + water from the sky makes a solution of sodium hydroxide with precipitated calcium carbonate. It is left as an excercise for the student to calculate the amounts of lime, soda ash and water to make a 1% solution in sufficient quantity that you can get the amount of 1% solution you want by siphoning it off, leaving the precipitated limestone. It won't hurt, of course, if you make more than you need.
    Gadget Gainer

Images
    1 molecular weight of calcium hydroxide + 1 molecular weight of sodium carbonate produce 2 molecular weights of sodium hydroxide and 1 molecular weight of calcium carbonate. 1 molecular weight of sodium hydroxide is 40 grams. 40 grams in 400 ml of solution is a 10% solution.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format

sodium hydroxide susitute????

"ultra bleach" on the shelf in the supermarket lists active ingrediants:
    sodium hypochlorite, sodium hydroxide

what do you think????

hey gainer-can't find my way back to site where your aticles on vit c dev most especially using anti freeze to make non oxidising shelf solutions

can't use pdfs so i need to read on site-can you direct me?

thanx

vaya con dios

Shooter
    Multi Format
    just remembered-store brand cheapo "ultra bleach" only active ingrediant: sodium hydroxide-it is close to 1% i think

why mix when you can buy off the shelf???

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin