Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,725   Posts: 1,670,152   Online: 735

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena View Post
    This must be what gives UK beer a bad name. Pubs that serve it so hot that at room temperture it cools down.
    Not just the UK. Beer is often reckoned to taste best at the temperature at which it is brewed, and there are a number of Belgian beers (the world's leading beer-brewing nation, for my money) that are better at room temperature, even warm room temperature, than chilled. And given the English climate, and the nature of most traditional pubs, 'room temperature' IS slightly chilled.

By contrast, 90% of American beer (brewed with rice and maize, so it's not even legally beer in Germany) is so disgusting that it's only drinkable when half frozen.

But to quote Theodore Sturgeon, a great American, upon being told that 90% of science fiction was rubbish,

"Sir, 90 per cent of anything is rubbish."

A maxim I have often applied to my own photography (and that of others).

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post

By contrast, 90% of American beer (brewed with rice and maize, so it's not even legally beer in Germany) is so disgusting that it's only drinkable when half frozen.
    True, but don't tell that to the folks who drink Genesee Cream Ale (called Genny Screamers for the after-effect). It's a regional brew that's awful at any temp.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by z-man View Post
    happy birthday roger-i finally feel less intimidated now that i know that i have 5 yrs on you

when i was a biker in the 60's an "oh zee" was an ounce of la yerba buena but there was allways somebody who would start a serious throw down by claiming that " this oh zee's short-it's only 29grms"-buyers would allways demand a 32 grm oz while those that sold, standardized on the 29 grm oz-how did i live thru all that i wonder?!?!?

by the way, since you are in acatan, do you speak the local? i only recently found out that my family name is the same as a city very near bilbao-i am andalus moor and the idea that i might also be vasco seems mighty strange at this late date-the political implications are personaly confusing so i think i'll just move to andora and start up my own version of the reconquista refrita

wanna come along?-i know you still got a black shadow or equivilent stashed some where

vaya con dios hermanito
    Estimado Hermano,

The whole bit on Aquitania/Acatan/Catalunya/Navarra, not to mention Euskera batua, is mightily confusing and depends on who is drawing the maps.

I speak modest modern French and can just about read Catalan and Provençal, but not Euskera. As for the Shadow, I wish! That or a Brough or a Hesketh (I've ridden both but never a Vinnie). All I have now is a 77/78 R100RS, twin-plugged, gas-flowed and with the 'neck' in the oilways widened to allow 7500-8000 rpm. This gives me about the same bhp at the rear wheel (70+) as the bike had at the crankshaft when new. It's still just about good for over 130 mph/210 km/h, two up, which is OK by me.

'I wanna go back to Andorra/It's the land I do adore/They spent four dollars and ninety cents/On armaments for their defense/Did you ever hear such confidence?/It's the land I do adore...'

(Woody Guthrie? Pete Seeger? Can anyone remind me?)

Do you spend much time in Spain or France? Perhaps we can arrange to meet...

Vaya con dios,

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Hicks; 06-27-2007 at 11:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    True, but don't tell that to the folks who drink Genesee Cream Ale (called Genny Screamers for the after-effect). It's a regional brew that's awful at any temp.
    Dear Jim,

Oh, dear...

I tried some once (just a can or two) because my wife Frances (silver wedding last Sunday) was born in Rochester and brought up in Hilton. It didn't seem bad, but from from what you say, it's lucky I didn't try more.

Doesn't Genesee also do a brew named after an improbable number of horses? Or is that another upstate brewery? (I met Frances in Los Angeles -- she moved as soon as she graduated from high school, so such details are understandably hazy).

Cheers,

Roger

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    ... Surely all current Maria Theresa dollars are dated 1780, to avoid confusion...

But you're right: this is surely the natural unit of measurement.
    Not all of them... I have a very very worn one which I got cheap in Eritrea (it had the wrong portrait on) which is probably a 1774 one.

But there are millions of the 1780 ones, minted as late as 1985. That's a pretty long run for one coin from one year...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    'I wanna go back to Andorra...Can anyone remind me...
    words by Malvina Reynolds, music by Pete Seeger; copyright 1962 Brio Music, renewed 1990. a.k.a. "I Want to Go to Andorra!" Pete Seeger's recording of this song was issued on a CD in 2003 by the Andorran government. Also on the CD is a 1996 speech by the Andorran Foreign Minister given on the occasion of his signing the nuclear non-proliferation treaty at the U. S. State Department in Washington, D.C. http://www.wku.edu/~smithch/MALVINA/mr005.htm

Not a Pete Seeger tune I'm familiar with, but Google is awesome

Shooter
    Multi Format

a biira is a beer is a biir

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Totally off topic, but...

One of my "favorite ounces" is the Ethiopian "Birr". It's defined as the weigth of one Maria-Theresien-Taler, of 1780 date - or 28.0668 g. "Birr" is also the monetary unit of Ethiopia. A "birra" however, is a small bottle of beer (at least in Eritrea).
    ole(accent)! ole

so you were hanging with amhara?

munchin on angira?

had a girlfriend a long time ago-last name of selasie-yeah her uncles name was haylie

but amhara and eritria like oil and water you know-highlands lookin down on lowlanders

did you get shots of gandar?

the beauty is an ache in my heart like a long ago dream with echos of the drums from the copt churches throbing like a old tooth-ache and the sweet heat of midday dust whirls in a khat nod

thanx for stirring up the memories-they had slipped away

vaya con dios

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't been to Eritrea since 1993, I'm afraid. In Asmara I met people from most of the 9 peoples of Eritrea, including Amhara.

While I was there I lived mostly on kofi (best in the world), birra, indjera and spaghetti.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Images
    Thank goodness for the conversion tables in the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. In my other lives as Aeronautical Engineer, Human Factors Engineer, oboist I had occasion to use several differnt sets of units and to relate one to another. Fortunately, I didn't have to remember that stuff.

I made my oboe reeds so many millimeters long and so many wide. Most vernier calipers have both English and Metric scales. I could always trade measurements with an Englishman by looking at the calipers.

I've seen a lot of things change and a lot of things that should have changed. The French people are going to celebrate my 80th birthday soon without knowing it. They think it is Bastille Day.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format

inspector gadget is 80?!?

Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Thank goodness for the conversion tables in the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. In my other lives as Aeronautical Engineer, Human Factors Engineer, oboist I had occasion to use several differnt sets of units and to relate one to another. Fortunately, I didn't have to remember that stuff.

I made my oboe reeds so many millimeters long and so many wide. Most vernier calipers have both English and Metric scales. I could always trade measurements with an Englishman by looking at the calipers.

I've seen a lot of things change and a lot of things that should have changed. The French people are going to celebrate my 80th birthday soon without knowing it. They think it is Bastille Day.
    gadget gainer you are one illusive octagenarian-i guess you made it so far by staying in motion-way to go elder brother

i allways celebrated bastille day any way but now i will do my best to do you justice

but seriously now- i have been looking for your articles re coffee-vit c

i need to try to get continuous tone out of freestyle line film(aphs) using the above-i used to use dilute paper dev with other line films plus a pre-flash in camera but i have never used coffee-vit c for anything

by the way i can get sodium/mag ascorbate easier her in nyc than ascorbic acid pwder-so i should use the buffered form-right?

also want the article on using anti-freeze to make non-oxidizing vit c syrup-can you hook me up please?

oboe players are a singular breed-you have to do your reeds from scratch -did you ever play the north african mizmar or any other eastern double reed? or the indian shenai?

so we will all be looking forward to your big eight oh-can i bring my guillitine? i have a certain small tree in mind for triming

vaya con dios

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin