Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,816   Online: 736

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Images
    CRC handbook has them all with conversion factors.

I suppose you fellows have figured out that my wife's camera was a Leica M3 2 stroke. We got it in a pawn shop with clip-on meter and leather case for $125 US. The front element looked as if it had been cleaned with steel wool. We sent it to the factory and got it back like new for the magnificent sum of $78.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by waitew View Post
    Well,the Imperial gallon does make more sense than the old English wine/US gallon,but the fact remains that the Imperial gallon has only existed since 1824 & therefore the 'American gallon' (by default..because we are the only ones still using it) is (in a way) more 'traditional'!I also prefer a quart (32 oz) to a queen.
    The imperial gallon was only standardized in 1824, but may have existed before that, as 'gallons' were sometimes local measure, and varied according to what was being sold: the ale gallon (4.62 l), the wine gallon (3.79 l), the corn gallon (4.4 l) particularly. It is true that the American gallon was standardized earlier, but the new, standardized Imperial gallon was a simple-to-replicate 10 lb of distilled water -- rather like the litre being 1 kg of water (from where they may have stolen the idea) whereas the American gallon is not, as far as I know (and I could easily be wrong), based on anything except tradition.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    ...whereas the American gallon is not, as far as I know (and I could easily be wrong), based on anything except tradition...
    Arbitariness, an American tradition!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin