Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,576   Online: 944

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

GEVAERT G.33 'Soft Developer' Examples

Here are some neg scans from a roll of Ilford Pan F I just processed an hour ago; sorry if you don't like scans -- avert your pure eyes...

This film developer combo, 12 minutes with 15 seconds agitation per minute @ 70 degrees F, is rather nice in my opinion, but lives up to its "soft" name.

I need to print it to really evaluate it properly, but I think I prefer it to D76 so far...

Shot with a Ansco Karomat 35mm rangefinder camera, sporting a Schneider-Kreuznach, Karat Xenon 50mm, f2 using Sunny 16 rule judgment.

See chem section for formula if interested.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G33_dev005.jpg   G33_dev021.jpg   G33_dev027.jpg   G33_dev006.jpg   G33_dev013.jpg  

G33_dev019.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They look good. Do you have scans from your scanner of a similar role developed in D76 or another standard developer? It is hard for me to judge how soft this role is since 35mm scans always seem harder and more contrasty to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's the tamest contrast I've seen from Pan F, but I have to agree they're softer than I like. I prefer Rodinal 1:100 with Pan F, and dealing with the contrast during printing if necessary. I've got some Pan F negs developed in Pyrocat HD but haven't printed them yet (I don't have a lot of luck scanning normally exposed negatives on my equipment). When I have the time, I'll compare the Rodinal negs to the Pcat ones. The later should be less contrasty, but w'll see.

K.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rmartin View Post
    They look good. Do you have scans from your scanner of a similar role developed in D76 or another standard developer? It is hard for me to judge how soft this role is since 35mm scans always seem harder and more contrasty to me.
    No, not at the moment. I will spool up a short load and fire it off to see how it compares as I get the time, but that is a good point you bring up.

Give me a few days...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobin View Post
    That's the tamest contrast I've seen from Pan F, but I have to agree they're softer than I like. I prefer Rodinal 1:100 with Pan F, and dealing with the contrast during printing if necessary. I've got some Pan F negs developed in Pyrocat HD but haven't printed them yet (I don't have a lot of luck scanning normally exposed negatives on my equipment). When I have the time, I'll compare the Rodinal negs to the Pcat ones. The later should be less contrasty, but w'll see.

K.
    I was looking for a full-bodied developer; one that allowed a long, straight line on the curve, with a lot of meat to print from in the shadows and I think a variant on this will be just what the doctor ordered.

I might have to fool around with the formula to slightly lower softness...

Haven't tried Pyrocat HD on Pan F yet, but it is worth a shot.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Where did you get this developer or did you mix it from scratch?

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mixed from scratch -- formula is here...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is it me or I see some kind of "soft focus" effect in the highlights?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    This film developer combo, 12 minutes with 15 seconds agitation per minute @ 70 degrees F, is rather nice in my opinion, but lives up to its "soft" name.
    EI 50?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    MHV, all bets are off, I just processed two rolls of 120 Arista Edu Ultra, 100 + 400 in this soup and the effect was not nearly as pronounced, so I went back and looked through my rangefinder into a strong light... guess what...

There is a definite haze in there; fungus? I don't know but know that the effects are drastically less pronounced as you can see below.

Yes, I know it is a different film PLUS it is a larger format, but let me spool up another roll and run it through my Minolta SRT to get the real skinny.

How stupid on my part...

On the other hand, I now know I have a "portrait camera" if I don't clean the lens.

Just keep moving on, nothing to see...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G33_dev_100_AEDU010a.jpg   G33_dev_400_AEDU003a.jpg  
    Last edited by Kino; 06-28-2007 at 09:32 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin