Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,999   Online: 796

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Minimizing grain with kodak HIE - developer?

Resigned to the fact that only HIE is really like HIE right now, and it's only in 35mm, I'd like to find a way to minimize the grain. Any suggestions for development?
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had decent luck with Pyrocat HD, you may even want to try PMK since it has more of a grain masking effect than Pyrocat.
    I used to think that 11x14 prints of Tri-X from Medium Format negs were grainy looking until I started using Pyrocat. With the HIE I got a similar improvement, but from 35mm the grain is golf ball size anyway.
    Have you checked out the new Efke infrared film? Comes in 35mm, 120 roll, as well as 4x5 sheet film (if you really want to eliminate the grain).
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd second that-PMK worked well for me with HIE. You might alsowant to try Exactol Lux/Presycycol EF or Perceptol. Maybe Aculux as well?
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never had much luck with HIE, but I do shoot a lot of Ilford's SFX; I know, not the same film, but both are grainy. I used to soup the SFX in Rodinal and got plenty of grain, and grain can be an infrared's charm. Lately I've found that good ol' D-76, 1+0 does a good job at rducing the grain of SFX; should do well with HIE.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neither Pyrocat HD or PMK are fine-grained developers. They're less grainy than other pyro developers, but that's not saying much. (I'm using Pyrocat HD for my medium and large format negatives.) Morever, with PMK you probably have a problem with low contrast highlights on HIE, especially on VC paper. Xtol, ceterus paribus, will be less grainy, and it works well with HIE. (I've used this combo extensively.) I've never tried a real fine grained developer, such as microdol -x with HIE, but it might be worth a try. (You'll probably lose about 1 stop of speed compared to Xtol.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is good to know. I've done most of my HIE in D-76, and its not super grainy, though its really noticeable even on 5x7 prints.

I'd always assumed that it was a property of the film and a different developer wasn't really going to help much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've printed negs from Ilford FP4+, 35mm, where developed in Xtol grain was mushy and dull on a 12x16" print, where the Pyrocat-HD neg in a similar situation with a similar size print, on the same paper yielded a print that I perceived as less grainy, because it appeared sharper. I'm not sure whether that has to do with grain masking or not. I do know that this is my personal preference, and I'm definitely not saying you're wrong.
    - Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Neither Pyrocat HD or PMK are fine-grained developers. They're less grainy than other pyro developers, but that's not saying much. (I'm using Pyrocat HD for my medium and large format negatives.) Morever, with PMK you probably have a problem with low contrast highlights on HIE, especially on VC paper. Xtol, ceterus paribus, will be less grainy, and it works well with HIE. (I've used this combo extensively.) I've never tried a real fine grained developer, such as microdol -x with HIE, but it might be worth a try. (You'll probably lose about 1 stop of speed compared to Xtol.)
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the thoughts. I'll try some of them at some point. I've got a bunch of the efke ir820 in 4x5, but haven't shot much of it as I haven't bitten the bullet and bought an expensive 89B filter yet.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin