Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,343   Online: 783

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Problem with Kodak HIE

I recently developed some Kodak HIE using Ilfotec HC at 20 c, with the Ilford agitation recommendations and found these blotches on the negative. Can anyone tell me what went wrong?

Thanks Jaap Jan Helder
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SWScan00006.bmp  
    Last edited by naaldvoerder; 07-13-2007 at 08:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are alot of causes for this. Try agitating a little less, or at least more gently. Also, if you're using an acid stop, don't do so in the future.

Hello htmlguru4242:
    What is the logic in blaming acid stop?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, it's hard to tell from the image, but I do know that HIE can behave in strange ways. I got a similar pattern on some film that was traced to light passing through the base reflecting off of the pressure plate. The pattern matched the dimples in the pressure plate exactly. I replaced the pressure plate with a smooth one and the problem was solved. Perhaps this is happening to your film too?
    As a side note I never had an issue with acid stop with HIE. I have probably shot 300+ rolls of the stuff over the years, but none recently.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    HIE is a very finicky emulsion - I've had problems with fingerprints on it if your hands are not meticulously clean and dry. There were also issues with certain sizes of it developing pinholes in the emulsion. What you showed doesn't look like pinholes- just uneven density spots. They don't look like air bells either, because they're not circular. Do you use a pre-wash?

I would recommend doing a pre-wash, and using a water stop instead, just in case.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Almost looks like pepper-dot fog. Never had this problem with any sulfite developer, of which Ilfotec is not one. Just speculating here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On first glance, those looked like pinholes for me. I've both heard (and seen, on other's negs.) pinholes appear on acid-stopped HIE with certain developers. Excessive agitation seems to do it as well.

On second glance, those look a little bit too soft to be pinholes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pinholes will not occur in HIE film. No modern film from Ilford, Fuji or Kodak will suffer from pinholes due to a stop bath.

I've got to stop this MYTH.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Pinholes will not occur in HIE film. No modern film from Ilford, Fuji or Kodak will suffer from pinholes due to a stop bath.

I've got to stop this MYTH.

PE
    So where do they(pinholes) come from and how do you explain the fact that they no longer are a problem once a switch to water stop takes place. Not disputing what you are saying, just looking for a logical explanation.

Thanks,

Eric
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    For further information I did not prewash and i did use acid stop and fix. The blothches are not all round. Would pinholes be?

Thanks Jaap Jan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin