Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,897   Posts: 1,521,014   Online: 804

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

First photo test with X-ray film (blue sensitive)

I just posted my first shot with some free sample X-ray film I got. High Speed Blue Sensitive. I actually overexposed it a bit, or overdeveloped it, as it is dense. There is also a "glow" around the highlights a bit, and of course the sky is washed out, due to the blue sensitivity. Kinda like the effect though. I will be posting more soon. I have uploaded the photo again to this post for convenience, but if you want to view all the details involved you should view the photo in my gallery here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CivilWar1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Phototone, that looks really good! Is this the CXS stuff?

What EI did you expose at, and how did you develop?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by htmlguru4242 View Post
    Phototone, that looks really good! Is this the CXS stuff?

What EI did you expose at, and how did you develop?
    Yes, it is the CXS stuff. I exposed based on an ISO of about 12, but I found this was a bit too low, now I am trying about ISO 30 to 50. I developed under a red safelight in HC-110b by inspection...developing time about 2.5 to 3 minutes on a hanger in a deep tank, lots of agitation. The film has a blue base tint, as most X-ray film does. Other than processing by inspection, the film was processed just as if it were regular film, with a 30 sec. stop bath and then 4 minutes in the rapid-fixer, then a 20 minute wash.
    The smallest size available is 8x10, so I had to cut down a few sheets under the red safelight to fit 5x7 holders for use with my favorite field camera.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Nice first shoot , you're closed to the good exposure. I think you may dilute your HC110 little more to get a longer dev time.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you do a search for x-ray film there are lots of companies that sell film under their own house name, but it still made buy the big three, just cheaper. $32.00 for a 100 sheet box. I have not tryed any yet as I still have about 160 sheets left of the Kodak I'm using. It expired in 1996 and stored under less than ideal conditions and it still looks good. My ISO is around 200. I have soom AGFA that I'm going to try. The Hospital I work at got a bad batch, some strange fogging on the sheets so they are just getting rid of it. So I got some just to try.
    Leslie D. Wall
    AKA DeBone75

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nze View Post
    Nice first shoot , you're closed to the good exposure. I think you may dilute your HC110 little more to get a longer dev time.
    I don't mind the short developing time. I use HC-110b in a 3.5 gallon deep tank, so for long life, I need the "B" dilution.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use to develop my X ra film for photo use in Rodinal 1+50 and also in Pmk . But just prefer 5-6 min timing for my tray development.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here is another example of a shot on X-ray film, from my recent free sample. I have ordered a box of 100 sheets so I will be shooting it more frequently.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RRXray3.jpg  

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice! It's good to experiment, isn't it?
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    i hope you guys dont mind me asking,what is the purpose of using xray film.is it just another medium or is there a quality that is liked by you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin