Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,165   Online: 1007

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just curious, which Polaroid films do you like the best and why?
    Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.

Shooter
    Large Format
    59, love that positive and negative all in one shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you mean type 55. I like type 54. There is no negative, but the print looks nice and there is no bath, fixing or hardening required.

Actually,

I'd have to go with both of you. That 54 print is glossy and thick and the tones are great, although it's never really very sharp. I've made plenty of those that have ended up in frames and under glass. They're great.

Oh the other hand, those 55 negatives are great too. VERY sharp, great contrast range. To me it seems like they're at least as sharp as TMX but with the range of HP5 or Bergger.

I find myself buying and using both.

dgh
    David G Hall

I like Type 52 for prints and Type 55 for negatives (of course). I think the grayscale of a Type 52 print is both long and beautiful. I have framed several. For negative work Type 55 is as pleasing a film as I've found. I shoot mostly TMax 100 but there are times I will reach for a packet of T55 because I know it will be better for the subject.

Type 55 seems to me to be virtually identical to the old Panatomic 25. I usually shoot it at 25 as well. Very fine grain, very long tonal range really nice and smooth shadows. If it weren't so expensive I would shoot a lot more of it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like the 54. Not as messy as others.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't use Polaroid at all. way too messy and too much trash to carr out. The film is not sharp enough for me too.

lee/c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Type 672 - ISO 400

All of my Polaroid film is used in a Polaroid back for the Hasselblad - to check camera operation, and get rough ideas of exposure, composition and lighting.

At least that is the start. I have been known to occasionally scan the Polariod images and actually *use* them. Come to think of it ... a possible essay: "Images from the `Not-serious' Polaroid check exposures?"

Recently switched from Polapan Pro 100. 672 has the same exposure index as AgfaPan 400 - my "working" (most of the time... well some of the time) black and white film. Guess how many two-stops overexposed negatives I have.

Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Type 52 and 53 as well as any color film. The first two just because I like them. Used in my old Graphic they can give a nice period feel to an image. Something about the tonal range and the contrast of the B/W film just screams "1950s" to me. Any of the color films are nice because I can do a transfer which is my new thing now.

Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Do you guys recommend getting a holder for my new setup? Is it worth the added cost for the holder and film to preview the compostion and check exposure? And even then, how do you know it's the right exposure on the actual 4x5 film (asa 25-400) when polaroid I'd think has it's own film speed. Just not sure how it cross correlates.

Thanks,
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin