Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,549   Online: 1172

View Poll Results: What about a 72 exposures 35mm B&W iso 400 film

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I see some advantages in such a film

17 20.48%
  • No, I don't see any advantages at all

66 79.52%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    "Soft" 400 or something decently pushable a stop or 2? The issue I see with 400 is that in natural light shooting 72 frames in acceptable light will be challenging for a lot of people all at once, unless it's spaced out over a few days and/or you're not using natural light.

That said, currently I think only my FED-2 will even let me do that - the other counters top out at 36. And, as mentioned, reel capacity to process.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Nikon camera will only set to 36 frames when the film is loaded. It winds to film to then end when the film is loaded and moves film back to the cassette as it is exposed.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no need for this type of film. I have a Contax RTS-II with the long roll, motor drive back and intervalometer.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have a reel for it, so it would have to be C-41 or E-6. Maybe I would want to use it if I were shooting a lot with the Horizon, but I don't see that happening.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On the other hand, I would love to be able to shoot some of the 35mm Polaroid films again (e.g. Polablue, Polachrome).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I could just imagine the problem I'd have with my Finetta 88 ... it's not a very technologically advanced camera, it winds on new film by turning the takeup spool 180degrees every time. By the time I get to the end of a 36exposure roll, the film spacing has tripled...possibly quadrupled... I'd probably be losing whole frames towards the end of a 72exposure film.

Shooter
    35mm
    As Roger Hicks says, Ilford had a stab at this, I think it was called Ilford HP4 Autowinder. I still have the special reel that came in a pack with the film but I can't see there would be any more of a market for it now than there was in the 1980's. It's nice that we've been asked but the Poll gives the answer!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    no problem for us. would have to be loaded on a bulk rack.

dw
    www.dr5.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brac View Post
    As Roger Hicks says, Ilford had a stab at this, I think it was called Ilford HP4 Autowinder. I still have the special reel that came in a pack with the film but I can't see there would be any more of a market for it now than there was in the 1980's. It's nice that we've been asked but the Poll gives the answer!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac View Post
    I hadn't voted before because the question struck me as poorly phrased. Yes, I do see some advantages (so I just voted yes, in order to be able to see the poll results), but they are greatly outweighed by the drawbacks, in my view. Most seem to agree, and by the time you've taken out those who answered the same may I did, for the same reasons, the balance is still more negative.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would much rather see the availability of shorter rolls than longer rolls, IMO.
    The pros and cons have been covered pretty well.

However, here's an interesting side note, if anyone needs a 72 frame Ilford reel and tank, there's one on ebay;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Ilford-S-S-...QQcmdZViewItem

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin