Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,641   Online: 772

View Poll Results: What about a 72 exposures 35mm B&W iso 400 film

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I see some advantages in such a film

17 20.48%
  • No, I don't see any advantages at all

66 79.52%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    when ilford release their 72 exposure rolls of HP5 i used it a lot as i was doing lots of sport stuff at the time. I loved it, but it was tricky at first to load.

Until recently i still had a couple of reels hanging around. I found it easier to load the film by hand than with the "fancy tool" one could use.

I understand that it really messed up the commerical labs equipment due to the thin base.

I don't think i would go back to using that length of film.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When using a 35mm camera I find the 39 frames that I get with a Leica M
    are sometimes to-many for me.

JON.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JON@jb-ci View Post
    When using a 35mm camera I find the 39 frames that I get with a Leica M
    are sometimes to-many for me.

JON.
    Same here. I'm pretty careful about making exposures and don't fire away like mad when the opportunity arises. Usally, I'll watch the subject for a while and decide how best to approach it. Then it's two or three frames and done. The one thing I hate is having film left in the camera at the end of the day. Oh yeah, how do you fit all that film on one developing reel? Maybe one could find an appropriate reel, but I've never seen one, even on Ebay. I doubt that any are being made new.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Ilford-S-S-...QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe one could find an appropriate reel, but I've never seen one, even on Ebay.

But the fact 36-39 exposures is for some users too much the question is if it would be better to make a new confectioning standard (again!) for 20 exposures as well

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the 3rd or 4th film on I was processing I resorted to bulkloading; just by hand, no loader, just feeling for the film to reach the flanges of the film. Thus I got 42 images, something I could still process in a Jobo tank and store in a sheet with sleeves (with images partially protruding out of the sleeves at the left hand side. I could cope with those few images off the frame counter of my AE-1.

At the moment I’m constantly changing between half-exposed films, in order to use different film types whenever necessary. Thus the changing procedure itself is not a problem to me.

However the chance in certain cases to use twice as long films could be nice.
    Though, the need to insert `neutral´ exposures inbetween or alternatively allow for the spoiling of one image just for cutting the film for processing would spoil the advantage of such a film in most cases. But I learned just from this thread that a special tank would most probably offered in that case, so this would not be a problem.

But still there is a problem, the counter. Just 6 images off the counter limit is something different than 36 images off. Not knowing how many exposures are being left would also reduces the advantage of such a film in many cases.

The final, but crucial issue, in my case, is that my somewhat more modern Canon will automatically respool after 36 exposures. Perhaps, this could be overcome by a modification. In this case I would be interested `somewhat´. As there still would be the counter issue. Furthermore I am trying to keep the number of film types as small as possible for logistics reasons. If that film would be offered bulk one could decide how much standard and how much long spools one would make would .

Interested, but very limited…

Shooter
    Medium Format

135/72 film

Why should this film not come with the processing included? For example, dr5 and other pro labs, have absolutely no problem in properly processing such a long film.

In these days, where the analogue lab services are getting more and more specialized, I guess this would be a good solution.

Cheers

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'd be interested, as normally I'm not concerned about seeing results of a shoot same day.. and when photographing an event, the rolls just keep running through. Why not more in the same package then?

Not sure though how my M4 counter would like a 72 exp. roll. I suspect it'll just cycle over.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i use a 1/2 frame camera, and get 72 exposures all the time!
    would a "clutch" in a 35mm camera be able to take the extra tension?

just wonderin'

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK. Everybody thanks for the input.

The decision has been made that this film will be available from Oktober 2007 in bulk 30,5m or maybe 50m only so that for these special users there is maximum flexibility how to use it.

USA dealers who are interested can contact me. I will forward them to the manufacturer.

Best regards,

Robert

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Robert,

That material is originally designed for aero cameras with suction plates. Have you considerd that flatness issue with our common 35mm cameras?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin