Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,931   Posts: 1,556,924   Online: 1090

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I bought a pack of this recently, but I don't think I have any negatives of low enough contrast to use it. In one of my tests I printed a negative on grade 2 on Ilford Multigrade, Arista Edu. Ultra, and Adox MC110. These printed with what I call normal contrast, with a nice full range of tones. The print on the Varycon was very high contrast even with a no. 0 filter (I did use only a red safelight with this paper).

Ilford filters were used, and I wonder if the Varycon filters would produce a different range.

I find the sister paper Emaks to be of normal contrast, if not on the soft side.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I can print on varycon with no filtration on a difusion enlarger. this is with acros 120 negs souped 1:100 in rodinal....
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Images
    I can print on varycon with no filtration on a difusion enlarger. this is with acros 120 negs souped 1:100 in rodinal....
    If you use no filtration, are you using Varycon as a single grade paper, or can you vary it?
    Last edited by jmcd; 05-30-2010 at 07:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just went through four boxes of 8x10 and 11x14 in a couple of weeks and had no problems. Bought from Freestyle. It is a beautiful paper, and you can't beat the price. If your negatives are "challenged" though you might want to choose something else.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    JMCD- I try to target the negatives for a grade 3...and that is what I get with the combo and no filtration. Of course you can vary it...it's a VC paper!!
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Images
    If your negatives are "challenged" though you might want to choose something else.
    For a minute there I thought you meant "something else" like tennis or watching tv. But encouraged by your and Peter's reports of success I switched out my enlarger head, from my Aristo that has a cold blue light to my Beseler condenser with a standard enlarging bulb. Suddenly, a gorgeous print with a normal grade filter. If someone else is getting a full range of contrast with a blue light (that does work with many other vc papers) I will have to continue searching for another explanation. Otherwise, problems solved and the paper looks great.

Of course you can vary it...it's a VC paper!!
    Okay, just checking. VARY(able) CON(trast)!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcd View Post
    For a minute there I thought you meant "something else" like tennis or watching tv. But encouraged by your and Peter's reports of success I switched out my enlarger head, from my Aristo that has a cold blue light to my Beseler condenser with a standard enlarging bulb. Suddenly, a gorgeous print with a normal grade filter. If someone else is getting a full range of contrast with a blue light (that does work with many other vc papers) I will have to continue searching for another explanation. Otherwise, problems solved and the paper looks great.

Okay, just checking. VARY(able) CON(trast)!

If you prefer to use a diffuse light source, you might want to try a dichroic color head. Then you could control print contrast with the yellow and magenta filters, while still retaining the qualities of a diffusion enlarger.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can I get a clarification here: Fotokemika Varycon == ADOX Vario Classic? I was under the impression they were different papers.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Varicon is the continuation of Dupont Varilour and sometimes shows a similar characteristic,that is migration of silver to the surface which can show an unusual surface effect when viewed at an angle
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've been using F-kemika VC FB (8x10, 11x14) for the last year or so on all manner of negatives--flat, contrasty and everything in between. Great results with split grade printing (00 and 5 filters), mediocre results with no filtration. Also, FB has been worlds better than the RC.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin