Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,713   Online: 790

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Any news on this paper as of 2012? I have to do a 16x20 print from a 4x5 negative for a class assignment and the Fotokemika is probably the cheapest of all the options. Which is very important when you're a college student - hahah. I do realize that you get what you pay for though. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by aaronmichael; 03-06-2012 at 07:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience with Varycon runs hot and cold. I think it's a wonderful paper... for portraits. For landscapes and the like it's been awful. The details in shadow areas are very muddy and it doesn't really respond well to VC filtration. Its saving grace is its low price. It's possible that the graded paper is better, but I've never used it.

Oh, air dry only BTW. Belt/drum style print dryers are out as the prints tend to stick to the cotton belt (in my experience).

-Andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronmichael View Post
    Any news on this paper as of 2012? I have to do a 16x20 print from a 4x5 negative for a class assignment and the Fotokemika is probably the cheapest of all the options. Which is very important when you're a college student - hahah. I do realize that you get what you pay for though. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
    I printed some 4x5 negs onto 16x20 Varycon gloss last year and the results were very good. I was using a colour head and Dektol. Print colour was good and didn't require any toning.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin