Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,965   Posts: 1,523,317   Online: 1188

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've used mostly TriX for, er, decades, never found a reason not to.

On the tangental subject of tripods, I'm not up to acrobatic 'street' stuff anymore, use the big Ries from my old 8x10 days more and more. It's a gawd awful fifteen-pounder and looks silly with a tiny Bogen ball head and O serie on top, but if a subject isn't too far away, this huge, pain-in-the-ass tripod, properly planted, guarantees – if not a good image, an unfuzzy negative with maximum DOF.

Lighter tripods are certainly better moving far and fast but, when you can make it work, big and heavy can't be beat – particularly if you need one to steady yourself as well as the camera ... He said, wishing he could still leap over tall buildings.

PS - Going down to southern Geogia in a couple of weeks to make some no-rush, hot-summer landscape/Okefenokee swamp negatives! It's been a very dry season and the gators have had more than enough to eat in the deeper, prey-filled sloughs, so I figure they won't want me after they tire of nibbling on the Ries.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If I were to be stranded with only one b&w film choice for medium and large format, it would definitely be hp5+. It's extremely versatile and I adore the grain.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Frances and I have about 15 tripods.
    Perhaps you should start a 'How many tripods do you own?' thread!

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    On the tangent a bit more (cause who knows I may have to eat my tripod words one day ) .... do you gents use a tripod even around the cities, shooting architecture lets say? Do you ever get hassled for it ... or do you get a permit?

How do you carry the stuff? I tend to carry a belt, a pouch hanging off it and two Low-pro lens bags. I've got 11 Nikkors but am finding that lately I am trying to lighten and simplify life by trying to make carying as easy as possible. So right now for example I leave my 70-200 at home due to weight. I walk with a 35-70, 55 macro and either a 85 or the 135. I often use a tele-converter on the 135. The image holds up surprisingly well stopped down just a tad. I miss the longer stuff sometimes but that (I think) may be my lack of creativity.
    To find the answers .... Question them!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Bruce. So do you feel fully confident about the well fed gators?
    To find the answers .... Question them!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Perhaps you should start a 'How many tripods do you own?' thread!
    Steve.
    Dear Steve,

Nah. There's a lot of historical accident; at least half a dozen gifts; and besides, even though I could probably count my tripods -- I wasn't counting most of the table-top variety -- I can't see any reason to do so.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel+ View Post
    .... do you gents use a tripod even around the cities, shooting architecture lets say? Do you ever get hassled for it ....
    Dear Pavel,

Not often, so far. In Paris the gendarme waited until I had the shot of the Arc de Triomphe (on 4x5 inch) before drifting over and telling me that I really ought to have a permit...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel+ View Post
    Bruce. So do you feel fully confident about the well fed gators?
    The gators of the lower Cape Fear River don't attack my kayak, and the tripod is almost as big as my kayak, so I should be fine, right?

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    PCAT is Pyrocat-HD-you can find it in the recipes section , or on unblinking eye.com (catechol+phenidone/metol based). Agree with Neopan 400/rodinal tip-have used it many times with 35mm.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    Beware of those who swear by film coated by Romanian virgins at full moon, and processed in a mixture of adder venom and humming-bird blood, because a lot of the time, they're getting good results despite their materials, not because of them.
    Cheers,

Roger
    Drat. That's two illusions shattered you've shattered. The other you callously poured cold water over was herding cats which admittedly I was more sceptical about than coating with Romanian virgins.

The epitaph reads: He tried to infect the photographic race with commonsense but found that the species to be infuriatingly resistant at times.

Snake oil rules OK

pentaxuser

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin