Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,648   Posts: 1,481,283   Online: 699

Thread: re:fogged film

Shooter
    Medium Format

re:fogged film

Re Fogged film.
    Today I ran a new test and got the worst possible results, No fog! I had shot half a roll in the magazine and then taped all the edges of the joint betweenthe magazine and the camera including the dark slide slot. with electricians tape
    . I continues shooting out doors in bright sunlight and then went into the darkroom and unloaded the film from the magazine and loaded it on to a reel all in a changing bag
    With the tank filled with developer and the lights out the film was removed from the changing bag and immediately immersed in the developer and the lid placed on the tank Processing was done for half the time before the rooms lights were turned on. The finished film was fog free.
    Looking at the fogged film I see a distinct pattern. The clear banks between the fogged area are also the distance of the reels center bars. This brings me to the question of is it possible I am getting after glow from my over head fluorescent lights which are about 4 feet away from the work bench. ( I have a tiny darkroom) And I vaguely remember replacing the tubes a couple of months ago , just about the time the problems started

Any body else run into after glow problems?

attachemtn enclosed ( I hope)
    Sample of fog on roll film darkened edge is side normally facing up in the tank
    The reels are stainless steel Kinderman reels like Nikors .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Entirely possible. Fluorescent tubes can glow - dont' know if they all do.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Haven't seen one yet that doesn't. Flourescent tubes, or spiral bulbs, have no place in my darkroom.

Shooter
    Medium Format

fogged film

bingo!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i have found that not all electrical tape is light tight. be careful with it.

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Images
    In some areas it's impossible to turn off fluorescent lights completely. If you live near a high voltage power line you may get enough of a voltage gradient to make the tubes glow. I saw this happen at one place in Virginia. It might be a good idea to check the ground line of your darkroom to make sure it really is grounded. The middle, round hole in a three-prong socket should be grounded. If you have an AC voltmeter you can measure form that hole to a copper water pipe. A neon test prod will probably light up if you put one terminal in the hole and touch the other. If you don't know what I'm talking about, find someone who does and get it checked. It is important to more than photography to have your house circuits properly wired.
    Gadget Gainer

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin