Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,864   Online: 1176
      
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    291
    Images
    10

    glycine in tea or freezer

    I will be wanting to store some glycin, I have read on apug that glycin can be kept in bags with the air removed (in the freezer), or it can be dissolved in tea. What amount of glycine will dissolve in 1 litre of tea (triethanolamine)? What ph does a liquid have to be before glycin will dissolve in it? What amount of glycin will dissolve in a 50/50 mix of tea and propolene glycol? Bugger why did I spell glycin with an e on the end in the header?
    Last edited by bogeyes; 07-21-2007 at 01:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

  2. #2
    Michel Hardy-Vallée's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Montréal (QC)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,351
    Images
    132
    Note also that glycin is fairly stable once diluted in water, more so than when exposed to air.
    Using film since before it was hip.


    "One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

    My APUG Portfolio

  3. #3
    Photo Engineer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    22,915
    Images
    65
    Glycin is a developing agent, glycine is an essential amino acid and not related directly to glycin.

    I just wanted to make that clear. You can eat glycine with little harm, but glycin can kill you! I hate to pick nits, but in this case, clarity is essential in view of the topic.

    Sorry.

    PE

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,879
    Images
    11

    Glycin solubility in Triethanolamine

    Quote Originally Posted by bogeyes View Post
    I will be wanting to store some glycin, I have read on apug that glycin can be kept in bags with the air removed (in the freezer), or it can be dissolved in tea. What amount of glycine will dissolve in 1 litre of tea (triethanolamine)? What ph does a liquid have to be before glycin will dissolve in it? What amount of glycin will dissolve in a 50/50 mix of tea and propolene glycol? Bugger why did I spell glycin with an e on the end in the header?
    Bogeyes, I had no luck dissolving Glycin in Propylene Glycol.

    However, I found that I could dissolve 22 grams of Glycin in 200ml of Triethanolamine (this indicates that you should be able to dissolve around 100 grams of Glycin in a liter of Triethanolamine).

    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...rioration.html
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 07-21-2007 at 02:48 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added a URL
    Tom Hoskinson
    ______________________________

    Everything is analog - even digital :D

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    291
    Images
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Bogeyes, I had no luck dissolving Glycin in Propylene Glycol.

    However, I found that I could dissolve 22 grams of Glycin in 200ml of Triethanolamine (this indicates that you should be able to dissolve around 100 grams of Glycin in a liter of Triethanolamine).

    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...rioration.html
    Thanks for that Tom, any thoughts on how long glycin will remain stable in TEA
    Last edited by bogeyes; 07-22-2007 at 03:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

  6. #6
    juan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    St. Simons Island, Georgia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,637
    Images
    4
    I have stored glycin in my freezer for about two and a half years and it remained active. I kept it in the original plastic bottle from PF, enclosed in a freezer bag. I know the glycin remained active because I made up a glycin only developer and developed negatives in it.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Southern California
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,879
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeyes View Post
    Thanks for that Tom, any thoughts on how long glycin will remain stable in TEA
    I mixed the stock concentrate in August of 2005 and it was still fully active in December 2006. I'll check it again during the coming week.
    Tom Hoskinson
    ______________________________

    Everything is analog - even digital :D



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin