Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,963   Online: 770

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Questions regarding some old B/W Papers

A friend of mine cleaned out his refrigerator today and he unloaded a bunch of paper on me. I got some Forte Poly Warmtone, Agfa Brovira (a few different types) and a lot of Oriental Seagull (in the blue box).

My question is regarding another paper, however. I have 5 boxes of Palpaper Chloro Bromide (K 888-2 and K888-3). I've never heard of this paper before, does anyone have any insight on what this paper is like? I won't have a chance to test it for at least a few weeks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The designations K-888-2 and -3 leads me to think it may be re-branded Efke Emaks K888 papers in grade 2 and 3. Which would be the same as J&C Nuance. But it's just a guess...
    Last edited by Jerevan; 07-28-2007 at 04:42 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added info
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PAL was a brand applied to a paper manufactured in Eastern Europe and sold in the US in the early 1980's. As I recall, there were two levels - a PAL Brome that was a utilitarian grade paper with a fairly neutral emulsion, and another (don't recall the name) that had a richer and slightly warmer emulsion. I believe that it was a graded paper rather than variable contrast.

In our area, the Bradlee's discount store chain had a fairly decent photo department and carried PAL paper. I recall using (and liking) the better grade paper, but the PAL Brome struck me as rather boring. I also recall that it didn't have a very long shelf life - not much more than a year before serious fog became apparent - compared with the other papers I was using at the time (mainly Kodak).
    Louie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One of the boxes of the Palpaper is Double Weight Glossy and the other two are Ultra White Glossy and all are graded. The label says "Made in Yugoslavia under authority of PAL Chemical Corp West Germany."

I'll give it a try the next time I'm in the darkroom to see how it works out.

Does anyone know if this paper liths?
    Last edited by Travis Nunn; 07-28-2007 at 10:15 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: More clarification

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn View Post
    I'll give it a try the next time I'm in the darkroom to see how it works out.

Does anyone know if this paper liths?
    You know, you got it, it's yours, it didn't cost you anything, why don't you just try it out and report back to us.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    You know, you got it, it's yours, it didn't cost you anything, why don't you just try it out and report back to us.
    Thanks so much for your help.... :rolleyes:

If I had a darkroom where I could print anytime I want, I'd happily try it and report my findings. Since I can only print once every few weeks at a local community college darkroom I figured I'd ask if anyone had any insight on this paper first.

If you have nothing positive to add, why post anything?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn View Post
    Thanks so much for your help.... :rolleyes:

If I had a darkroom where I could print anytime I want, I'd happily try it and report my findings. Since I can only print once every few weeks at a local community college darkroom I figured I'd ask if anyone had any insight on this paper first.

If you have nothing positive to add, why post anything?
    I didn't mean for my post to come across as negative. I guess I am a "do-er", and my first thought on getting any untried "free" photographic material would be to go into my darkroom and test it out....but I have an always ready darkroom. In any case, with "old" materials, they will have drifted from new condition to the point where any advice you get here from people who have used them when they were fresh will have to be modified considering the age of the paper in your hands. You may have to add benzotriazole to your developer to restrain age fog, etc. I see a lot of posts where people agonize over film A or film B to take on a trip, etc., and I guess I would just get a roll each and test it and actually "know" for myself what suited me best.

The most positive thing I can add is that whatever other people relate about a product can only be a starting point for your own testing.

cao
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have some of the PAL k888 that I got unopened from a friend whose significant other made him clean the fridge. My experience is this: unexposed paper in plain Dektol 1:2 turns a nasty (about zone VI) gray. I suspect that the best use will be total fogging for dodgers or fixing out for alt process use.

Images
    I've gotten lots of old papers that had been kept frozen - for years! Only I didn't get mine free. I bought it thinking it was a deal. Some of it was good. Lots of it wasn't.

Sometimes it has a look that's kinda cool. Sometimes it's a nuisance and waste of my time. I just hate throwing paper away, but I tossed a bunch recently.

Here's a print done on old paper. I hope some of yours is good. It's fun to happen upon a real deal!

Best wishes.

Janet
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fred.Henry.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cao View Post
    ...I suspect that the best use will be total fogging for dodgers or fixing out for alt process use.
    I have a feeling you're right, they are more than 20 years old, but once I get back in the darkroom, I'll give them a shot anyway.

As far as the Oriental Seagull, I really hope that paper is still good. I've heard nothing but great things about it, especially in lith developer.

Janet, I know what you mean about buying old papers, I've bought a few boxes of old paper in the hopes that it was OK, but I've only gotten lucky a couple of times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin