Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,010   Posts: 1,524,619   Online: 996

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Arista Premium Odorless LIQUID fixer concentrate

Does anyone know how long the Arista Premium will keep in both an unopened and opened half used bottle?

I use 5L jugs of Ilford Hypam rapid fixer which have to be shipped for significant sums but I just priced the Arista liquid concentrate 64oz size from Freestyle and found that it would be much cheaper to ship even in quantity.

Presently using the Ilford Hypam, I fix fiber prints for 1 minute and film for 2 minutes using fresh fixer. Would my times be the same with the Arista? I assume it is ammonium thio as well.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    It is indeed ammonium thio, and your fixing times should be about the same, at least according to the label instructions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can offer you another substitute, if you are interested. Kodak's C-41 Flexicolor Fixer & Replenisher works very well as a fixer for B&W films and papers and is very inexpensive. Since it is only slightly acidic, ~ph 6.5 if I recall, it has almost no odor when mixed to working strength. Capacity is as good or better than B&W rapid fixers and it is fast working. I have used this product as my fixer of choice for a few years with no ill effects to film or paper.

Avoid fixers for the C-41RA process. These are not the same type of product and are reported to be incompatible with standard B&W materials.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Since this question concerns the same product (Arista Odorless fixer) I'll ask it here.

Does anyone know how much capacity this stuff has for film? I am currently fixing 4x5 sheets in my homemade processing tubes by mixing 60 ml of working solution for each sheet. (54 ml of distilled water with 6 ml of concentrate) Does this sound like too little fixer for 20 sq. in. of film?

Thanks!
    Russell

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I guess I could use my hypo-check to see if the fixer is exhausted when I am done processing. I think I answered my own question!
    Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My best guess this that Artistic is rebranded Clayton, all of the Aritstic chemicals seem to match the Clayton descriptions. I have used Clayton Fixer for several years, it will go bad much more quickly than Kodak or Zonal Pro, but seems to have the same capacity as Kodak rapid fix.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    My best guess this that Artistic is rebranded Clayton, all of the Aritstic chemicals seem to match the Clayton descriptions. I have used Clayton Fixer for several years, it will go bad much more quickly than Kodak or Zonal Pro, but seems to have the same capacity as Kodak rapid fix.
    I looked at the online MSDS info for Arista Premium odorless fixer on Freestyle's site and saw the Clayton name and address at the bottom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, Clayton Chemical makes the Arista Odorless Fixer. Yes, it is truely odorless. Yes, while we guarrantee our products for a minimum two years of shelf life. Yes, all fixers and developers will eventually "go bad." We will replace any product that does not meet your perceived performance or product value. Capacity of any product is dependant on the dilution and application. Please feel free to contact me about any technical information or help you need.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I am also a user of Ilford Hypam as it is a non hardening fixer. Is the Arista/Clayton non hardening aswell?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by w35773 View Post
    I guess I could use my hypo-check to see if
    the fixer is exhausted when I am done processing.
    I think I answered my own question!
    I too use one-shot fixer although with 120 and tank volume of
    500ml. I've switched to S. Thio. but have used as little as 15ml
    of A. Thio. concentrate. I'd recommend 20ml. concentrate.

My dilutions are so great that the potassium iodide hypo check
    does not work. So I tested for minimum amounts and two or three
    pink and mottled rolls later I finely arrived at clear and no color.
    A pinch more concentrate, liquid or solid, for additional margin.

I suggest you do the same. Use too little to start then build
    up to clear and no color + a pinch more. Unexposed film puts
    all the load on the fixer so it's a worst case test. Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin