Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,606   Online: 795

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I came across the film speed and development test data that Ansel Adams did on Super XX. Unfortunately I don't know how to post the graph showing the density and development graph on this site.

For the sake of brevity it shows that he rated the film at 100 and that the normal development in HC110 at 1-7 dilution (his favorite developer) was five and one half minutes. The same dilution at a time of eight and one half minutes would take it to a N+1 contrast.

The contrast graph shows that with normal development this film will show detail separation all the way through zone XII at a density of 2.10 and that total development would take this film through a density of 3.15. This film shows very little toe and no shoulder at normal development. With total development the introduction of a slight shoulder comes in at zone VIII Wow!!! is that something or what??? No wonder everyone loved this stuff.

Now by way of comparison, for what it is worth, I found through testing that when I developed TriX with HC110 my normal development time was 6 1/4 minutes (Prof. 320 rated at 160). When I switched to ABC pyro with the same film my normal development time went to 6 1/2 minutes. So I would think that a similar correlation would possibly apply here with SuperXX.

So for all of you that can talk him out of a couple of hundred sheets, you have your development times and rating. Good luck.

Regards,
    Donald Miller
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Rollo and ABC+ are the same thing, I belive. They are for Jobo processing. PMK is a manual process developer. Regular ABC is something Michael Smith is an advocate of. He says it is the only developer for contact printing. ABC+ may or maynot have Amidol in it. I just don't remember.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes Lee, I too believe that ABC+ and Rollo are the same thing. At least that is what my information indicates. The two names come from Photographers Formulary and Bostick and Sullivan. I am quite confident that it does not contain Amidol since Amidol is the most active photographic developing agent known. At the price that it goes for, it should be...
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes, Thanks Donald for the conformation. I had a Jobo once and I could never get PMK to act like I wanted it to act. It developed the negs but after a few trys I was still less than pleased and when someone offered about 3 times what I paid for it, well the money order was cashed and I shipped it north.

lee/c

Yes,

Rollo and ABC+ are for Jobos. And yes, ABC+ has Amidol in it. What I would love to know is if ABC+ is really a modified PMK for rolling, or if it is a modified ABC. Even though the name is obviously the same. ABC and PMK have remarkably different stains and effects on negatives.

dgh

David G Hall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ordered the ABC+ and TF4 Fix. Now I&#39;ll bone up on st. Ansel&#39;s (do two shots) <u>Neg</u> and should have something to report in week or two.

I would go with the HC110 and follow Ansel&#39;s recommendations, but there appears to be a broader knowledge base for Pyro here and I may need the feedback.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you are using pyro and Ansel&#39;s methods (as opposed to development by inspection, which Weston and Karsh used, and Michael Smith uses today), you will probably get more accurate densitometer readings using a color densitometer on the blue channel. A B&W densitometer can detect the silver density, but is less accurate in detecting the stain density, which increases proportionally with the silver density.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I&#39;ll be using a color densitometer (I dont have access to a B/W densitometer)and Ansel&#39;s methodology. I don&#39;t have the set up for tray development. I have a great deal more confidence now that I&#39;ll be able to nail a good combination for this film. I am somewhat intimidated by the B/W experience here and feel compelled to produce some kick ass work so that y&#39;all won&#39;t think this film was wasted on some bumkin.

Aggie, I would definitely like to know how to make such dividers. Where do you get stainless wire? I have heard of a manufactured tray that will take 6 4x5 negs.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I could have processed a bunch of film in trays while you make the thing. Most of the scratches I have encountered happen in the wash when I am not careful but I have that under control and have not scratched a piece of film in years.

lee&#092;c

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin