Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,457   Online: 1079

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I developed 20 sheets of 12X20 Super-XX last spring and summer that had an expiration date of 1992. It had been stored in either refrigeration or freezer for most of the time since it was originally purchased. For exposure I rated the film at an EI of 200 and there was no loss of film speed from age. I assumed that that the film would have quite a bit of fog so I decided to develop the first sheet in D76 1:1 rather than my standard Pyrocat-HD formula. For the rest of my negatives I rated the film at EI 100 and added about 5-10ml of a 1% solution of benzotriazole to the developer. This lowered the b+f to about 0.25 - 0.30.

As for time of deveopment I have some test data made some 10-12 years ago with Super-XX and D76. If you will tell me what kind of printing you are doing and what CI you require for your negatives I will send you a suggested time.

I definitely would not recommend using ABC or any other staining developer with old film if you plan on doing any kind of alternative printing with UV lights because the stain plus fog makes for unbearably long exposure times.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Although I've not shot any of this film since I last posted to this thread, nor have I followed any of the advice regarding testing, I went and shot a close friends graduation pictures with it.

I used the data I aquired in my own feeble testing.

I have posted an image with a detail of the image in the tech gallery.

My thoughts are that this is some wonderful Film!!!
    Last edited by mrcallow; 09-24-2004 at 08:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    My thoughts are that this is some wonderful Film!!!
    Yeah. That's what we all thought, right up to its discontinuation. May it rest in peace. I was wistfully looking through some 200 8x10 Super XX negatives yesterday. It was a great run while it lasted.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge
    Yeah. That's what we all thought, right up to its discontinuation. May it rest in peace. I was wistfully looking through some 200 8x10 Super XX negatives yesterday. It was a great run while it lasted.

I used a lot of Super-XX film before it was discontinued and had a pretty good idea of its outstanding qualities, which are, 1) long straight linear curve with virtually equal response to red, green and blue light, and 2) great for expansion and contraction development.

At the time, however, I did not use sensitometry and had no idea how it really compared to some of the newer films until recently when I had a chance to run BTZS testing of some Super-XX film from Michael Smith's cache. Although the film I tested is now at least thirteen years or so old it still had outstanding expansion and contraction potential, comparable to the best films today in this regard. The film had a fairly high B+F from age, over about log 0.35, but this did not present a problem except for printing with UV processes. It is also rather slow acting, even with a very energetic developer such as ABC 1:1:1:7. However, with this developer it is an excellent film for development by inspection, even with the age and B+F.

There is really nothing exactly like Super-XX available today. BPF 200, which has been touted as a replacement for Super-XX, fails miserably in the area of expansion and contraction, especially where you need these qualities with a relatively high CI as for printing with AZO or alternative processes. TMAX-400 has outstanding expansion and contraction potential but it is very fast acting and the magenta stain apparently interferes with seeing the image during DBI. All things considered the closest thing to the old Super-XX on the market today in my opinion is Efke PL 100.

Sandy King

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin