Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,402   Online: 710

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an opportunity to get a couple 100 sheets of, 9 year old Super-xx. The film has been cold stored (I am reasonable sure of this) but suspect that there will be some base fog.

I will be processing this film on a table top roller and would like help with initial exposure times, developer and developer times. I'm hopeful that someone else has done this before and could give me a leg-up.

The Tech sheet states DK50 and HC110, I have neither but do have D-76, X-tol and Microdol-x. If need be I'll purchase a different developer. Your help is appreciated.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    half the box speed to shoot the tests. At 68f Microdol -x straight will get you in the ball park

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am jealous. I've wanted to play with the venerable Super-XX ever since I realized so many famous pictures were taken on it.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    If it were me, I would contact Michael Smith at http://michaelandpaula.com. He is still using old XX and uses ABC pyro. He would be able to give you a heads up as to what his rating on this film is.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee are out of the country with no access to the internet for at least one month. They develop their Super XX by inspection in ABC pyro. The formula is on their website. They begin inspecting at 8 minutes. I believe I recall Paula mentioning that she rates it at 80, but I could be off a little on that. I'm certain, however, that 80 is the speed she recommended to me as a starting place for Bergger BPF 200, the closest thing to a modern "equivalent" that we have.

If you're not going to buy every single sheet your source is making available, please inform us who the source is so that we can obtain the rest. I'll certainly make it worth his while financially.
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    I shoot Bergger BPF 200 and develop by inspection in ABC pyro. I rate the film at 64. I find that my development times for enlarging (4X5 format) run 8 1/4 minutes for N, 10 3/4 minutes for N+ 1, and 13 minutes for N+2.

In the 8X10 size which I contact print on Azo and amidol my development times run around 12 minutes for N, 15 minutes for N+1, and 18 minutes for N+2.

All at 70 degree temp.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 @ Feb 4 2003, 09:47
    If you're not going to buy every single sheet your source is making available, please inform us who the source is so that we can obtain the rest.  I'll certainly make it worth his while financially.
    First things first. The film may not be any good. If it is good I'll be taking it all. 300 sheet is a lot but not that much, and if I were to sell or make available 100 sheets that really is not enough to do anyone much good. I will do my best to use this film properly and be thoughtfull in its application. Should I find the film good but beyond my capabilities I would considrer selling it for what I paid for it to someone I know could properly use it.

Having said that I would entertain trading the film for some ektar 25 in 120.

I'm excited about using this film. I have a great concern about wasting a lot of sheets just getting the ei, dev formula and times down. I am not an old hand at B&W.
    Last edited by jd callow; 02-11-2007 at 06:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The ei and times recommended by Aggie, dnmilkin seem to corrispond well with each other and look to be a good starting point. Can I assume that Bergger BPF 200 is sufficiently close to SXX that the EI and development is or near interchangeable?.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    sorry, I just re-read my post and I omitted time in Microdol-x at 68f. It should be 10 minutes. I had to check my notes from some old Super XX I had several years ago. It is a nice film.

lee\c

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Do you have a 4x5" camera or a 4x5" back? You could cut the sheets down for your speed and development tests. Even if you don't have a 4x5" camera, you could cut up one or two sheets into smaller pieces and tape them to the center of the film holder for testing purposes.

I wouldn't take BPF 200 results as a starting point for Super-XX. Manufacturer's claims aside (which really only apply to the look of the film, not the development times in different developers), I don't think you can treat them as the same emulsion, roller processing introduces another variable, and the age of the film might mean that all bets are off anyway.

If you have access to a densitometer, I'd do the traditional tests that Adams describes in _The Negative_, and that should get you there with the least waste.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin