Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,594   Online: 915

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Kodak Aerocon / Plus-X Aerographic & How to Cut?

I've acquired an 8 or 10 inch, not really sure, roll of Kodak Aerocon in a box that's sitting in a freezer. Unfortunately, I only shoot 35mm and medium format so I can't think of how I'd go about using this. The guy I got it from gave me THIS link upon explaining the film. It looks like it's difficult to process as I need a Versamat film processor.

Does anyone have experience with this kind of film?

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    You don't really need a processor, albeit the film is optimized for it. If you examine the development curves you'll see that aero films are typically "overdeveloped" compared to pictorial use, and "aero" film speed looks high because of the development level.
    Not all Kodak aero films show "spiral" or "reel to reel" [that is "not Versamat"] temps and times, but some do and you could start with those with D76 or HC110 B, at say about half the aero speed for shots taken on the ground.
    Should work without a painful learning curve.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Does anyone have experience with this kind of film?

Yes, the Department of Defense, CIA, NSA, and NASA. Grin.

Have fun. You should shoot the film with a Kodak Aero-Lens!
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you wanted to go to the trouble of it, you could cut it down into 120 size and then spool it on used spools/paper backings. That would be a lot of work though.

Patrick

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well thanks for the info guys! I'll probably just sell it even though I'm sure it would be a lot of fun. I just don't have the equipment to cut it or use it. The guy I bought this from actually charged me more for this roll of film than my Beseler Dichroic 67!

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I hope you got a really good price on the equipment then!

That would be fun to use. That's the thinnest and slowest aerial film I've seen yet. Might be hard to use cut down to sheet size for flatness reasons, unless one did pinhole where it didn't matter. I suppose it was used with a vacuum back.

I'd like to know when it gets listed somewhere for sale.
    Murray

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll be sure to let you know if I post it!

Hmm... This is a unique film and I have a ton of it though. I'm not sure I want to give it up :P.

I'm actually tempted to just cut this and respool it onto 120 rolls. This is enough film to last me a long, long time for medium format. It looks like it's actually Plus-X Aerographic (2402), not the other kind that i was linked to. See the attached files. It expired in '05 but it's been in the freezer for the past few years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails download.jpg   download2.jpg  
    Last edited by OPTheory; 08-15-2007 at 11:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Aero Film

I have the Panatomic Aero 2412, have been using it for years, works great with ABC Pyro, have yet to try it with Pyrocat P. Pat

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Where do you go about finding a good source for these kinds of films anyway? Directly from Kodak? I was looking on photo.net and this Finnish photographer was saying he gets 300 foot rolls of this stuff for $65 or something from "a guy in Nevada."

Not that I'm worrying about getting more... I already have a ton. Also, does anyone have any advice on how I'd go about cutting this and spooling the film onto 120 or 220 rolls?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do have two kept-frozen rolls of 70mm Plus-X Aerographic 2402. I've not spooled any up yet, but I seem to recall that is does not have antihalo backing, not sure if that is a future issue. Under most conditions, probably not.

Info sheet is available online.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin