Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,668   Online: 874

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all for the help... I think I'll try tray development 1'st to see how I do (I already have trays so the investment is zero in that front), in the meanwhile I'll try to get a Jobo 2500 tank, but as someone mentioned they seam really difficult to find in Europe. If someone has a link for an euro-zone internet dealer selling them, I'd appreciate the info!

Regards,

-Rui

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Rui, you might also take a look at 4x5 in black plastic development tubes. I used 6" long plastic drain line (household plumbing materials) to make simple tubes. You can do all of the processing in them and only need to have lights off during the actual pouring in and out of the chemistry. Is there such a thing as a 40mm black plastic drain line where you live? It is used under sinks in the U.S for drain lines under ground. Some glue and a saw is all you need, along with some simple fittings (6" tube, cap, screw type plug, some plastic window screen to make it easier to remove the film when it is done). tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rui.Cardoso View Post
    , in the meanwhile I'll try to get a Jobo 2500 tank, but as someone mentioned they seam really difficult to find in Europe.
    Might want to watch Ebay. Used tanks if they don't leak work just fine and are much cheaper. Then buy a new 2509N reel for the tank.

http://www.fotoimpex.de/catalogus_no...i_germanus.pdf

With the strong Euro you might consider B&H. Even with VAT and shipping it might end up cheaper :o

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I also use the Jobo 2553 tank with the six sheet holder and develop by inversion. I use Pyrocat HD or Rodinal and I don't mind the larger quantities of chemicals. You can certainly develop in trays and I did for a while, but I always seemed to scratch the negatives. I know - it's my problem, not a problem with the method - but I really like the convenience of the daylight tanks. I don't know what classified ad venues there are in Europe, but I bought mine used for a reasonable price.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rui

You may find it easier to find a Paterson Orbital - there are usually a few on the ebay UK site. If you don't want to go the ebay route, Retrophotographic in the UK usually have some (a bit more expensive, but at least you'll know all the bits are there).

I used to develop my 9x12cm and 4x5 in a 120 tank (one or two at a time), but have recently obtained an Orbital. Dead easy to load and uses so little chemistry it almost doesn't feel right. It does four 4x5 sheets at a time.

Good luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I picked up a 2500 series tank (too lazy to check exactly which one right this second) from b&h for $60 bucks with the reel, it sailed by Polish customs which usually redflags all my photo gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    18 Aug 2007

Rui:

I develop all my 4x5 using a Jobo 2500 tank and a motorbase. The advantage over inversion is that you use much less chemistry. Your development times will be much shorter with constant agitation, so some experimentation will be in order. I have found this method to be very easy to control once one has some experience.

The motorbase I use was made by Besler for processing color prints, but any base cane be used. A couple of hints if you follow this path:

1. Make sure that you periodically (every minute or so) reverse the rotation of the tank.

2. Make sure that when you reverse the rotation of the tank that you also mix the chemistry along the axis of the tank.

Good luck with LF

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    hello,
    i use a 4x5 daylight tank. it costs like $25. i get excellent results with it. i have had no uneven development in over 500 negs. here is a link to a previous posting and photos. check it out. my reply is on page 3 and is #30. i hope this helps.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...t=27091&page=3

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie gunks View Post
    hello,i use a 4x5 daylight tank. It costs like $25. eddie
    I've tray, tank and hanger, and daylight tank developed.
    If memory serves me I put hundreds of sheets through
    using a Yankee daylight tank. Yankee daylight? Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks all!

It seams I've lots of reading to do...

In the meanwhile I'll try to do my first shots this week just to start learning how to use the camera, I'll use tray development first even if just to get a feel of it.

In the meanwhile I'll probably try to get a Jobo Tank, as I'm used to using these in other formats, I already have the washing system for them, and from your posts it seams that after all there are some possibilities for getting them in Europe.

Regards,

-Rui

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin