Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,312   Posts: 1,536,660   Online: 825

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

New to 4x5 - Development Tips?

Hello All,

I finally decided to try 4x5 and borrowed a camera from a friend. I've been using mostly 120mm film for some time and do my own hand developing using a Jobo 1500 series film tank.

I've been reading about jobo's 2500 series tanks, but the jobo site says that these tanks are only supposed to be used with Jobo Processors.

Does anyone know if there's any problem using these manually? Also, besides tray development and using Jobo tanks, is there any other way to develop 4x5 film? (I'm still in the trial phase so, I'd rather keep the costs low if possible).

Thanks All,

-Rui Cardoso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 2500s can be used inversion. They use LOTS of chemicals but it's possible. They can also be used on a motorbase. No idea how hard it would be to find one in Europe. Or I think some people just roll them around the table.

The Jobo Expert tanks. Even more money.

Then a few things that people mostly curse at.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tray development is about the least expensive development process there is. Three 5x7 plastic trays (or a comparable size tray from a non-photographic source) plus chems is all you need. There are plenty of discussions on the process here (use the search function), and you can start off developing just a sheet or two at a time till you get comfortable with the process. As to Jobo stuff....I know nothing about it.
    John Voss

My Blog

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a 2500 series jobo for my 4x5 processing and agitate by inversion, works perfectly well. As nick says it takes more chemistry that way 1.4l but i get even and well developed negatives.
    Good luck.

jan

Images
    Good Afternoon, Rui,

Jovo's suggestion is right on track: Search for "4 x 5 Processing" or "Unicolor" or "deep tank" or "drum" or "tube" or "Paterson Orbital Processor" or "hanger" or "Chromega" or "Nikkor tank" or "dip and dunk" or . . .

Konical

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A recent thread on this subject can be found at:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/4...questions.html
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rui, I have a Jobo 2000 series tank and it's designed for inversion agitation, uses a liter of dev per 6 5x4's. Actually I have 2 but the first has been in constant use for 30 years, and the others a continent away.

The newer 2500 Jobo tanks are designed to fit their rotary processors, so they (Jobo) DON'T admit they can also be used with inversion agitation.

If you use a developer like Pyrocat HD or Rodinal they are very economic, if you use ID11 (D76), Xtol etc then replenishment is your best route.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 08-16-2007 at 04:27 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    Large Format
    Didn't read the mentioned threads and I'm sure they mention this somewhere but...

A processor is certainly not required. I've always turned mine by hand. I use 400ml of chemistry and rotate either on a towel laid out on the counter top or, better...I fill the kitchen sink with cool water (20 degrees C) and spin the floating tank by hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Rui,

If you decide to go the tray processing route--which is the least expensive--then I'd highly recommend one tray size larger than the film you intend to process; 8x10 for 4x5 film, 11x14 for 8x10 film, etc. This little "trick" is something I learned from Fred Picker over 25 years, ago, and it really helps to minimize scratching and, possibly, might contribute to more even development. I always did pretty well with trays, but when I moved to the Jobo CPP-2 with expert drums I became painfully aware of the issues with my tray processed negs. The Expert Drums, in my experience, provide absolutely even development and are, quite simply, a joy to use. I've never pined for the "old days" since getting the Jobo. Not trying to convince you to go this way...rather just something to think about.

Good luck!
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin