Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,719   Posts: 1,483,129   Online: 1248

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [I've never used them before. Would they hold APS film securely enough? If so, it might be a good option, and at just $0.99 (if you've already got a tank), it's cheap enough to buy one just to try it. A single roll of film and chemistry to process it would probably cost more!

A 35mm apron will work with APS, but you need speical tank, Kodak's tank used a metal plate to keep the apron from floating around. I have not used the set sold by Freestyle, but I see no reason why it would not work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    [I've never used them before. Would they hold APS film securely enough? If so, it might be a good option, and at just $0.99 (if you've already got a tank), it's cheap enough to buy one just to try it. A single roll of film and chemistry to process it would probably cost more!

A 35mm apron will work with APS, but you need speical tank, Kodak's tank used a metal plate to keep the apron from floating around. I have not used the set sold by Freestyle, but I see no reason why it would not work.
    Thanks for that INFO... I've ordered the tank and aprons from Freestyle... I will post on how they work out! - regards, Jeri Ann

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought the main point of the APS system was for the film to remain forever in the cartridge, even after development. So when getting reprints done, the labs expect to receive the film in the cartridge not a film strip. So if you process these yourself will you be able to return the film to the cartridge afterwards? If not then it looks as if you might have to do your own printing as well as developing. So where would you find a negative carrier than could handle APS? I admire your bravery! I like the APS format and still use it sometimes but I'll stick to my local Asda (Wall-mart) for processing & reprints!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac View Post
    I thought the main point of the APS system was for the film to remain forever in the cartridge, even after development. So when getting reprints done, the labs expect to receive the film in the cartridge not a film strip. So if you process these yourself will you be able to return the film to the cartridge afterwards? If not then it looks as if you might have to do your own printing as well as developing. So where would you find a negative carrier than could handle APS? I admire your bravery! I like the APS format and still use it sometimes but I'll stick to my local Asda (Wall-mart) for processing & reprints!
    You're correct Brac, that is ONE WAY to do APS ... and i have a great opp to get mine processed at a local minilab for 1.75 per roll, processing only. But I also have a nikon coolscan 5000 ED w/ the APS adapter. This unit scans at up to 4,000 dpi and renders a much better file than the prints that come back from the minilabs... so that is where I've been experimenting and trying alternative processes, etc.

I COULD just let the minilab handle the processing, and then scan for my own print making, etc... I am basically just trying to see all the various ways i can still use APS film because I have a camera (Nikon Pronea ) that shares my 35mm and digital body lenses. I find it is just a really handy camera outfit for a basic point/shoot scenario, and don't want to park it on a bookshelf just yet.

Thanks for your views as well! I did as someone suggested a few messages back, filed down a reel and modified it well to spool aps film securely onto. I also bought a reattacher, but can not find the instructions yet for that, but it should allow me to spool the film back into the cartridges. I'm just a silly do-it-yourselfer I suppose.

On the APS adapter for the film scanner, you simply place the cartridge within a carrier, and it opens, feeds the film, etc... creates all the thumbs to choose by so you have on the c'puter screen a 'contact sheet'..., prior to creating actual scans... it's neat. I'll try and post a photo soon done with these methods... - jeri

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brac View Post
    Minilabs have a deattacher reattacher for APS, not very diffcult, takes practice but doable, with all the Minilabs going out of business I think you could find one. I have one somewhere as I did some printing of my wifes APS negatives before she turned to the dark side.

Shooter
    35mm
    I can see it makes some sense as you have high quality scanning equipment etc. But myself I'd still leave the processing to a lab and then do the scanning. Although I've developed colour film in the past (not APS!) the hassle wasn't worth it nor did it save any money over having it done commercially (unfortunately).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin