Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,051   Online: 921

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are the frames located toward the inner part of the reel or the outer? It looks like water hitting the dry emulsion before the developer is poured in. Maybe part of the reel or inner tank was not fully dried?

I had water in one of my 4X5 tubes that dripped on the emulsion while I was tempering the tubes and the stain (streaks because it rotates) was permanent.

Shooter
    35mm
    The frames are from the middle #14 and #15 but the last one is #30. I do make double sure that all my reels and tanks, including all hiding places in my lids are reallly dry. Could it possibly be condensation on my film? I mean I do take my film out of my fridge and use it after about an hour, but no sooner. It may look like a drop of water maybe got squished through?

Shooter
    35mm
    The other thing that might point me to a photoflo stain is that I do use distilled water as a last wash so if I am getting any water spots it couldn't be from any minerals in the water right? It would have to be from the photoflo right? Could it be that the photoflo is not dissolving in the water and a clump of it stuck onto the film? Anyone?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaU View Post
    The other thing that might point me to a photoflo stain is that I do use distilled water as a last wash so if I am getting any water spots it couldn't be from any minerals in the water right? It would have to be from the photoflo right? Could it be that the photoflo is not dissolving in the water and a clump of it stuck onto the film? Anyone?
    Unlikely. Photoflo is distilled water with a wetting agent, so "dissolving" is not an issue.

One question that has not been asked - what is the orientation of the 'teardrop'? Is it always point longitudinally along the length of the 35mm film, or does it point from one side to the other?

If the former, then I go back to the hypothesis that it is a stress mark caused by 'cupping' the film excessively while loading the reel.
    Louie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have had trouble using PhotoFlo - many moons ago. One characteristic not shown by the scans was an indication of the size of the "teardrops". The residue I encountered was in the form of small, brown "teardrops" ~ 1-2 mm in size. These "drops" were nearly indestructable, additional washing having little effect.

I switched to Edwal "LFN" as a wetting agent - with no further problems. Since then, I have heard that using PhotoFlo at 1/4 to 1/2 strength (I can't remember the recommended dilution) solves any problems with it.

Are you using distilled water AFTER the PhotoFlo wash, or as a last wash with the PhotoFlo dissolved into it?

I've also heard that a drop of ordinary dishwashing liquid serves well as a wetting agent - but I haven't tried that; I may as soon as my last little bottle of LFN runs out.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you so much for your warm greeting and thank you for your help. I'm sorry I didn't provide more info. Here ya go:
    Film- Fuji Neopan 400, 35 mm. the first and second rated at 320 and the third at 800
    Reeled on stainless by me.
    Dev. in HC-110 dilution B at home. Very weak acid stop. Ilford Hypam fix.- 3 min., 5 min wash, hypo 2 min. 20 min. rewash, distilled water with 3 drops photoflo mixed in. for 1 min. hung to dry.
    I did look for creases in the negs due to rolling (didn't find any) but my rolling is pretty smooth and I don't remember having any trouble at all. And the teardrop shape has a definate rounded bottom and it's not a crescent shape. When I look on the base of the film I did notice that there was a water spot in the area of the teardrop but it is not the same shape, it's smaller and in the center, and when I do wash that watermark off, the teardrop mark is still there as bold as ever. I can tell you that the first two were on the same roll, side by side, but the other roll that was in the tank has no marks. In the last thumbnail it only affected four frames on one roll of three. The teardrops all fall the same way too.... hmmmm....
    Could it be uneven development due to such a short development time? You might want to try a different dilution of HC110 that will give you at least 5 min development time.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Lisa

I really think this is photflow problem, not an developing error or handling problem.
    we use distilled water with the photoflow, we use 2 litres and with the proper dilution of photoflow there will be the bubbling on top which we skim off. Hold the film at both ends and rapidly arc it into the 2litre container and then with a very direct pull take it out and immediately put in the dryer in one motion.

as I said earlier, if the photo flow is on the emulsion you may not be able to get out the marks.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all. So I think I may be narrowing it down. Here is a couple of details that may be important. Looking at my thumbnails again, I did notice that the teardrops are pointing up and they should all be laying on the side with the narrow end to the left. They have no color and are of a pretty large size. If the image were printed on a 5x8 paper, the teardrop would be the size of a quarter. Also, after Bob explained his procedure with the photoflo, it makes sense. I usually use one of my empty tanks, fill with distilled water, drop in three drops of photoflo, mix, take my full reel out of my wash and drop it in, tap it, and then take it out and hang it. It seems really suspicious that there is always a water mark right within the teardrop shape. Maybe it's the way I am handling it. If it is handling, I will really watch my cupping when I reel my next roll and see if that is any better.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Lisa
    I think the problem is that you put the reel in the photoflow, we always take the the film off the reel and do the method that I explain by hand with the film firmly in our hands before we go into the photoflow.
    The proceedure from wetted film to hanging is within seconds and one fluid motion in the same direction, I am positive that this putting the reel in the photoflow is your problem. Not a fast enough transition from photoflow to drier and lots of direction changes .
    Bob
    Thank you all. So I think I may be narrowing it down. Here is a couple of details that may be important. Looking at my thumbnails again, I did notice that the teardrops are pointing up and they should all be laying on the side with the narrow end to the left. They have no color and are of a pretty large size. If the image were printed on a 5x8 paper, the teardrop would be the size of a quarter. Also, after Bob explained his procedure with the photoflo, it makes sense. I usually use one of my empty tanks, fill with distilled water, drop in three drops of photoflo, mix, take my full reel out of my wash and drop it in, tap it, and then take it out and hang it. It seems really suspicious that there is always a water mark right within the teardrop shape. Maybe it's the way I am handling it. If it is handling, I will really watch my cupping when I reel my next roll and see if that is any better.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'd look no further than drying marks -- which almost always remain after rewashing.

My solution (living in a very hard water area)

Wash with hard water

2x 30 sec to 5 min in distilled water with maybe 2 ml/l of Isopon or similar wetting solution in the second bath.

Like most people, I find that you don't need as much wetting solution as the manufacturers recommend, but equally, I have found that if you have too little (much under 30-50 per cent of the recommended amount), you also get drying marks. This may be your problem also.

I give these last two baths on stainless steel reels (not plastic -- ?quicker unloading) and do not have problems with drying marks.

Heat-drying the film makes things much worse.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin