Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,260   Online: 1137

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

weird teardrop spot

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me. I have been getting these weird teardrop spots on a few of my negs on random rolls. They are all about the same size and show up in the light areas on the frames. I can't find any water spot markings when I look at the negs in the light and when I try rewashing, they don't change at all. Can someone shed some light?
    Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spot1.jpg   spot3.jpg   spot2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Lisa and welcome to APUG.

Do you have more information? Is this 35mm, 120 or large format? How were the negs processed?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Howdy Lisa and welcome from sunny tucson. Since they are light marks on the print, there must be greater density in the film, it seems that they may be from development of perhaps fixing. Do they show up as areas of greater density on the film if you look at high mangification with a loupe? Andy asked about the methods you have used and the format. Which chemistry are you using for development, stop and fixing. Do you use photo flo during the final rinse prior to drying? What film is this, or is it on different film types and formats?

Welcome, tim

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Hi Lisa

These look like photo flow marks on the film, if they are on the base of the film they should wash off easily. If they are on the emulsion the marks are much harder to remove.

Examine the film carefully , put the film back into warm water lets say 80-85 degrees not hoter, and with a very soft cloth and the marks should go away.

re fotoflow and dry.
    Bob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My guess is some sort of stress marks caused by buckling while loading the film.

Try looking at the "backing" side of the film - the "shiny" side without the emulsion - to see if there are any marks resembling creases.

More information would help - Processed at home or commercially? What format film, what specific film, was used and what developer? A scan of a strip of film, if there is a "strip", indicating the direction of the "teardrops" would be helpful ...
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you so much for your warm greeting and thank you for your help. I'm sorry I didn't provide more info. Here ya go:
    Film- Fuji Neopan 400, 35 mm. the first and second rated at 320 and the third at 800
    Reeled on stainless by me.
    Dev. in HC-110 dilution B at home. Very weak acid stop. Ilford Hypam fix.- 3 min., 5 min wash, hypo 2 min. 20 min. rewash, distilled water with 3 drops photoflo mixed in. for 1 min. hung to dry.
    I did look for creases in the negs due to rolling (didn't find any) but my rolling is pretty smooth and I don't remember having any trouble at all. And the teardrop shape has a definate rounded bottom and it's not a crescent shape. When I look on the base of the film I did notice that there was a water spot in the area of the teardrop but it is not the same shape, it's smaller and in the center, and when I do wash that watermark off, the teardrop mark is still there as bold as ever. I can tell you that the first two were on the same roll, side by side, but the other roll that was in the tank has no marks. In the last thumbnail it only affected four frames on one roll of three. The teardrops all fall the same way too.... hmmmm....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could it be the film coming too close to itself in the reels causing eddies in the developer?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know I didn't even think about that one. I use Hewes reels. If that were the case, what could I do about that?
    Last edited by LisaU; 08-17-2007 at 02:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hewes brand reels perhaps?

Describe your agitation method during development...
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    35mm
    You caught me mid edit rwyoung. You were right on. My agitation is 5 slow inverts after pour followed by three raps on the sink and then three slow inverts every 30sec followed by the same 3 raps on the sink.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin