Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,867   Posts: 1,583,210   Online: 888

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fotohuis View Post
    For FP4+ I would personally recommend another developer than Rodinal but it depends for what kind of characteristics you're searching for...
    I do not know FP4+ as a film... I shoot much Arista EDU Ultra 100 (4x5) which I know is FOMA, and I have been using the FOMA R09 on that as we have discussed in another thread. I just purchased a small box of FP4+ to try it out and did my first 6 negatives in the R09 (last night, they are drying now). What is the reason for your comment? I'd like to know what to look for in assessing those 6 negatives.

Thanks, so much. Your information on Rodinal and R09 has been great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    About the 4x5" format I should not worry too much about my comment. When doing 35mm the difference in grain between APX100/Rollei Retro and FP4+ with Rodinal with a magnification of 15x has much more relevance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert T. McCarthy View Post
    The different dilutions of Rodinal are used to control contrast. The 1+100 dilution is good to tame a high contrast scene and for a rainy overcast day you might prefer the 1+25 dilution to increase contrast. The 1+50 Dilution is about normal.
    I have absolutely no idea what the hell I'm doing, but a few months back I exposed a 35mm roll (36 exp) of TX400 in 1/3rd - 320/640/1000 iso and developed in Rodinal 1:25 semi-stand for about 30 minutes. Agitation was very minimal. First 30s & then 5s at each 5 mins or so.

Contrast sucked. I mean it was certainly printable and the tones were mostly there, but there was absolutely no 'punch' to the images, and I've yet to see this mystical "accutance" everyone's raving about.

After reading some info posted on Flickr groups (see Fotohuis link above) i went downstairs and developed another roll from the above batch (was exposed in the same way) in Rodinal 1:50/10 mins, agitation was 1st min & then 5s each 1 min.

I've yet to print the negs as they are drying, but I instantly observed a marked improvement in contrast. I'm curious to hear what light can be shed on the subject by folks more knowledgeable then myself.
    -
    Daniel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In principle Rodinal (a para-amino phenol developer) is suitable for slow and medium speed classical (cubical) film emulsions. So Tmax, Delta is IMO much less suitable in the Rodinal development.
    Try classical films in the iso range from E.I. 20-200 and you will see what I mean.

Maybe one exception: Fuji Acros 100 (Sigma technology) is also doing fine in Rodinal at an E.I. of 64-80.

One of the best Rodinal (1+50) combinations is with Agfa APX 100 (new) or the equivalent Rollei Retro 100 film.

http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/thumbnails.php?album=11
    But even a Technical Pan film can be developed under high dilution (1+150, so low contrast developer) in Rodinal.
    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documenta...ei%20films.pdf

Best regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what exactly would i be looking for in trying one of these films with Rodinal?
    -
    Daniel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Best characteristics for Rodinal:

Very sharp
    Pronounced edge effect
    Nice grey tonal range

In discussion:

Pronounced grain
    (But the overall effect depends on your agitation method)

Advantage:

Liquid developer, easy in handling
    Very long storage time (> 10 years)
    Relative cheap (Approx. Eur. 12,- for 500ml) which is able to do about almost 100 films.

My advice:
    Rodinal with:
    APX 100/400 (Rollei Retro 100/400) resp. E.I. 80/E.I. 250
    Fuji Acros 100 (E.I. 64)
    Pan F (E.I. 50)
    Rollei PAN 25
    Efke 25/Maco UP25
    Rollei Ortho 25
    Fomapan 100 (E.I. 80)
    Fomapan 200 (E.I. 125-160)

The last one can give some very old style images:
    http://gallery.fotohuisrovo.nl/thumbnails.php?album=5

BTW R09 (Fomadon or Calbe) is the pre WWII version of Rodinal. The lifetime of these versions are much more limited and they will pronounce more grain.

If you're interested you can look at our Flickr Rodinal versus R09 comparision:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/rodinal...7601393747142/

Regards,

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually Robert you're very wrong.

Rodinal gives exceptionally good results with modern films like APX100, Tmax100 etc, I assume it would be the same with Delta100. Over the past few years I've known a lot of photographers who swear by the APX/Tmax and Rodinal combination, all getting excellent fine grain, very good sharpness and tonality.

I used the combination myself for 35mm, 120 & 5x4 and the results for APX100 & Tmax100 (EI50) are indistinguishable.

Ian

In principle Rodinal (a para-amino phenol developer) is suitable for slow and medium speed classical (cubical) film emulsions. So Tmax, Delta is IMO much less suitable in the Rodinal development.
    Try classical films in the iso range from E.I. 20-200 and you will see what I Robert

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually Robert you're very wrong.
    It's OK to me if that's your opinon.

If you're going to modern technology type films I should do another choice than Rodinal.

But the same is valid for rotary development. The nice edge effect of Rodinal is then completely wrecked.

But if you're happy with Tmax and Rodinal, who am I to go in any discussion with you.

Shooter
    Multi Format

One of the best Rodinal (1+50) combinations is with Agfa APX 100 (new) or the equivalent Rollei Retro 100 film.

Best regards,

Robert

I beg to differ re: Rodinal and T-Max! I am not a t-grain film fan. I spent several years, many different devs and many, many rolls of t-grain films trying to get them to look good. Eventually I went back to traditional films.

A couple of years ago a friend gave me 2 rolls of T-Max 100 to play with. I had never souped this film in Rodinal. Rodinal gave me the best negs I have ever gotten with this film.

But, that is why photography is also an art and that is why there is more than one film and more than one dev. Photographers were made to disagree!

I do agreee than APX 100 and Rodinal is just about perfect.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I soup most of my 120 Tri-X in Rodinal 1:50 and love it. I also like Panf & Acros in Rodinal.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin