Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,325   Online: 1219

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rodinal novice question

Hello,

I just recieved my first bottle of Rodinal. Now, I know on this forum are many advices for different films/Rodinal combinations, so I won't ask what dilution for which film. Something else I would like to know.

I saw different people use different dilutions for same film. For example different people who use for example FP4 some use 1:25, others use 1:50, others use 1:100 dilution, etc...

My question is what different dillutions do, that is what is difference between 1:25, 1:50, 1:100, that is why people use different dilutions for same film?

Oh, by the way, Rodinal is one shot developer , right?

Thank you.
    Bosnia... You don't have to be crazy to live here, but it helps...
    No things in life should be left unfinis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it's one shot. Some folks use the higher dilutions for the economy but most are interested in the acutance effects evident in the higher dilutions. The 1:25 and 1:50 were the original specs from Agfa, some films do better with the higher concentrations, some need longer times to get more even development. Rodinal is one of those highly personal developers, you can choose a usage that fits your way of working, from a fast working 1:25 on through stand developing at 1:200 for an hour-development limited by developer exhaustion for contrast control.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/rodinal...7600245966695/

and in case you're interested in a long time period Rodinal test about lifetime:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/rodinal...7601393747142/

For FP4+ I would personally recommend another developer than Rodinal but it depends for what kind of characteristics you're searching for. But the combination of fine grain and high accutance is a fraction which you can reach with the Rodinal APX100/Rollei Retro 100 combination. Another good Rodinal combo is Fomapan 100. If you like sharpness pronounced grain in architecture old look you can also go for the T200 (Creative 200) film from Foma with Rodinal.
    Staying with the Ilford films PAN F is also a nice film combo with Rodinal.

To make the right high dilution of Rodinal you can use the 10ml plastic syrenges of the pharmacy and yes Rodinal is a one shot developer but that you can also read in it's instruction manual. Unfortunately not all developer times are correct in the sheet.

Caselton Corners, Staten Island, New York
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I saw different people use different dilutions for same film. For example different people who use for example FP4 some use 1:25, others use 1:50, others use 1:100 dilution, etc...

My question is what different dilutions do, that is what is difference between 1:25, 1:50, 1:100, that is why people use different dilutions for same film?

Oh, by the way, Rodinal is one shot developer , right?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

/////////////////////////////////////

The different dilutions of Rodinal are used to control contrast. The 1+100 dilution is good to tame a high contrast scene and for a rainy overcast day you might prefer the 1+25 dilution to increase contrast. The 1+50 Dilution is about normal.

Regards.

Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you Gary and Fotohuis,

FP4 was only as example, first name of film crossed my mind, not meaning I will use it with Rodinal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Robert

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by haris View Post
    FP4 was only as example, first name of film crossed my mind, not meaning I will use it with Rodinal
    I got some great results using Rodinal last week. With FP4.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am also a novice to Rodinal and just aquired a 500ml bottle, then this thought occurred to me that since it is badged as Agfa, will Rodinal go the way of APX25, APX100 ... as well?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nah it's been saved. A few years ago it was out of production like APX100 but it's recently been produced by another company (A&O Imaging Solutions? can't remember what it says on the bottle) under the Agfa name.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    End 2005 the whole production of also Agfa chemicals in Vaihingen/Enz was stopped. A&O bought in 2006 the chemical production plant and is the new owner and half 2006 they produced again. I think they used up all old packing material first because only recently the packing is changed by a new label:
    http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2340545&size=o

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin