Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,954   Online: 712

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

4x5 Equivalent to Fuji Neopan 400?

I have recently found my love in medium format for Fuji Neopan 400 developed in xtol 1:1. Unfortunately, Fuji doesn't make it in 4x5. Actually, just recently I found out that Neopan 400 is a traditional emulsion. I had no idea. I had always figured it was a modern emulsion based on Acros. Anyway.. does anyone know which current 400 speed 4x5 emulsion (HP5, Tri-x, Tmax 400) behaves most similar to Fuji Neopan 400?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Probably gonna be HP5+. Tri-X only comes in the 320 version in that size, and it's not the same.

Dug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm... I would think HP5 as well. I have been working in the darkroom this evening with two 4X5 negatives of the same scene - HP5+ and Tmax 400 (developed in Pyrocat though). The HP5+ is certainly behaving more like a traditional negative in the tonal qualities.

This probably does not answer your question, but I would look into HP5+ before I would go after Tmax 400. YMMV

Doug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would say try both HP5 and TriX. TriX seems to be closer tonally to my eye but dont know how different the 320 version looks to the 400 I use in 35mm and 120.

And yes, aren't traditional emulsions beautiful.......If you are prepared to give up speed, Efke PL100 and Foma 100/200 might also give a look that you like. There seems to be debate as to whether the foma 200 is traditional or not but many love the look. I prefer TriX and APX100, with FP4+ thrown in over the Tmax/Delta/Acros lot. Hp5+ can look rather modern and maybe this is related to the fact that technical people much more experienced than I say it has a rather straight line. HP5+ is a great film, only I found I preferred TriX....a bit.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Neopan 400 a real lot in 35mm land and tonality wise, the closest 4x5" film to that, is FP4 + from what my negatives and prints are saying.

I know you are after a nominal 400 film conventional film, but HP5 + just doesn't have the vibrancy Neopan 400 has. I haven't used other European films so I cannot comment.

Mick.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My first thought was HP5 as well. I do have some experience with this film and found it kind of muddy. I know other people have found this as well, but then again I didn't really give it enough time to test, and get used to. I've heard that the closest match to neopan 400 is tri-x, but the 400 speed not the 320 TXP. So that leaves me with HP5. Maybe I could try a box and run some serious tests. Thanks for suggestions!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    I have recently found my love in medium format for Fuji Neopan 400 developed in xtol 1:1. Unfortunately, Fuji doesn't make it in 4x5. Actually, just recently I found out that Neopan 400 is a traditional emulsion. I had no idea. I had always figured it was a modern emulsion based on Acros. Anyway.. does anyone know which current 400 speed 4x5 emulsion (HP5, Tri-x, Tmax 400) behaves most similar to Fuji Neopan 400?
    I have 3 boxes of Neopan 400 4x5 in the freezer. Already used the other 2 I'd purchased back in 2002. Fortunately, this film is still available in 4x5, but only in Japan.

We were livin on Maui at the time, and I was able to go directly to the Fuji distributor, and get what I needed. Yes, Neopan 400 is a traditional emulsion, and if you're looking for the same high-speed type of film, your choices are limited. Most people said Neopan 400 is what Tri-X would look like w/out the grain.

Since you seem to like the Fuji look, try the Acros 4x5 (although I always process my Fuji in Rodinal).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Any idea of where one might purchase Neopan 400 in 4x5 sheets today?

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe View Post
    I have 3 boxes of Neopan 400 4x5 in the freezer. Already used the other 2 I'd purchased back in 2002. Fortunately, this film is still available in 4x5, but only in Japan.

We were livin on Maui at the time, and I was able to go directly to the Fuji distributor, and get what I needed. Yes, Neopan 400 is a traditional emulsion, and if you're looking for the same high-speed type of film, your choices are limited. Most people said Neopan 400 is what Tri-X would look like w/out the grain.

Since you seem to like the Fuji look, try the Acros 4x5 (although I always process my Fuji in Rodinal).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure that it is really comparable to Neopan 400, but the other old school ISO400 4x5 film is ClassicPan 400. Pretty cheap too. I know it's available from Retrophotographic in the UK, but I'm not sure where else you can get it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P C Headland View Post
    Not sure that it is really comparable to Neopan 400, but the other old school ISO400 4x5 film is ClassicPan 400. Pretty cheap too. I know it's available from Retrophotographic in the UK, but I'm not sure where else you can get it.
    "Classicpan 400" was Forte which has gone under.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin