Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,763   Posts: 1,516,211   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

4x5 Replacement for Ilford Panf+ (Efke 50?)

Hello All,

I'm starting with 4x5, for my 1'st shoots I'll be using some Rollei SD and Tri-X a friend gave me, but the film I usually use in 120mm is Ilford PanF+.

I know that PanF+ is not available in 4x5, so I was wondering if there could be a close match for it. What I'm mostly looking for are the contrast and tonalities of PanF and not specifically the speed. Any ideas?

When looking for information about this on the net I came across Efke 50, from the limited information I could get about this film, it sounds something I might try, but there's nothing telling me that this is what I'm really looking for. Does anyone have experience with both PanF and Efke 50?

Thanks All,

-Rui Cardoso

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I also use Pan F as my preferred medium format B&W film and when I moved to 5x4 I had the same conundrum.

I've used Adox/Efke CHS25 developed in Neofin Blue which gives a similarly contrasty performance as Pan F and with perhaps even better tonality. The downside is that, for me at least, it feels very thin compared with Ilford film and curls up all the time. There have also been horror stories about banding and other emulsion issues with the Adox films which is something I've never experienced with Ilford.

Because of these issues I generally use Fomapan 100 which gives less contrasty results compared with Pan F but the tonality is excellent and actually not too far removed from Pan F when printed on harder grade paper.

Barry
    My website: Light Work

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Efke 25 (Adox 25)

I would suggest Eke (Adox) 25 as a starting point to see what you think. The biggest problem I had with this film was its explosive reaction to full strength developers and very short development times. Once I backed down a bit on dilution, things were much better. I'm using pyrocat-hd (from photographers formulary, made with glycol because it lasts long on the shelf) with a dilution of 1:1:150 and getting very nice results now. You can also use rodinal at 1:100 or dilute hc110.

Very nice film for tonality and contrast once you get a feel for it. Give it a try and see what happens. tim
    Last edited by noseoil; 09-16-2007 at 08:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Why not look for FOMA film.... I have used them all the time I have been shooting LF....
    You kan get them from www.fotoimpex.de... or from http://www.retrophotographic.com/

erik

I develop FOMA in DiaFine or in APH 09 ( 100 Iso. 1:80 for 45 min and it is working)
    Last edited by Erik Hartmann; 08-20-2007 at 08:31 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Rui,

Try Delta 100. IMHO it is much closer to PanF+ than Efke 25. Keep in mind that I have not tried Efke 25 in sheets, only 35mm and it is a lovely film. No experience with Efke 50.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both Efke 25 and Delta 100 work well developed in Pyrocat-HD
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Both Efke 25 and Delta 100 work well developed in Pyrocat-HD
    Tom, how do you develop Delta 100 in Pyrocat? Believe we dev TMY identical so i imagine that your Delta 100 time would be close to what i need to.
    Thanks.

jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would say it depends on what you photograph and what type of filtration you use. Efke 25 is ortho-chromatic, so orange filtration will not work like you're used to, and red will not work at all. Tones in the sky will be vastly different. Since you're on larger film, grain is most likely not an issue. I would try ISO 100 films. Delta 100 has been suggested. Daniel Lin uses that with Pyrocat-HD and it looks amazing in his capable hands. Efke 100 (panchromatic), and Foma 100 are good suggestions too.
    With that said, Efke 25 really is fantastic film. The slow speed in larger format forces you into reciprocity failure range quite often, though, with long exposures. But you can, of course, use that to your advantage too if you like shooting wide open.
    I would probably recommend Efke 100.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thomas is right, I forgot to mention something: I shoot mostly landscapes and most of the time through an orange filter.

I understand there's an Efke Ortho 25 and a CHS 25, I assumed the CHS version would be a panchromatic film, isn't this correct?

-Rui

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    AFAIK the CHS 25 is just another name for EFKE 25. It's not orthochromatic, but it's not quite panchromatic either: The sensitivity drops off sharply in the red wavelengths, so that you get very low sensitivity to red. It's called orthopanchromatic.

You can use it with an orange filter, but the filter factor will be higher than with a fully panchromatic film.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin