Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,550   Online: 798

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Color of Xtol when Mixing

I mixed up some Xtol for the first time a couple of days ago, and I was a little concerned that the solution was amber to brown after dissolving the part 1 packet. The color changed to clear after dissolving the second packet. Is the initial amber or brownish color anything to worry about?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    nope. a slight grayish brown is what I usually see.
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Got amber more or less when I mixed mine and no problems. Watch for a yellowing indicating it's going bad.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The thing, though, is Xtol doesn't necessarily yellow when it's exhausted. Fresh mixed is a light straw color. Look for dark brown specks or clumping in the small packet. If there is, definitely test before committing valuable film.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi !
    Dump a film leader in the working strengh solution and during the time it soup into, load your tank, prepare other chemicals, etc...
    If during that time the film leader fails to turn black, dump your gone south Xtol and mix a fresh bath....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It appears to be the correct coloration, although I recall it being an amber colour when I first mixed it up.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have the amber color when mixing package A. it dissapears indeed when I throw Package B in the bucket.
    I always test with a small piece of film before doing some development. Better safe than sorry.
    X-tol is IMHO easy to mix lasts long enough to use it all. And best of all no mixing needed before every session.

Cheers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some time ago I posted information for keeping Xtol way past the Kodak advertised date.
    A Swiss photographer using a slightly modified method has Xtol which had survived more than 4 or 5 years (http://www.bonavolta.ch) so the method is useful with the 5 liter package Kodak produce now.
    Here is the post :
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...-test-use.html
    Hope this helps.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wow, I don't shoot that much film, but 5 liters still only lasts... 5-6 months? Who needs to keep it around 4-5 years?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Chazzy, it's normal, nothing to worry about. Another thing is always do a test before you use it like "Beer" said

Alex W.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin