Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,542   Online: 890

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Forte Negafort Universal Developer Times

I've checked out the Massive Development Chart, and it doesn't have Forte Negafort Universal Developer listed for the films that I wanted, and the times listed for Fortepan films don't even match those on the bottle.

At the moment, I want to use it for Efke 25 and SFX 200. Is there anything listed on the chart that would be close enough to this developer to base my times on?

Kodak managed to send some D-76 our way again, but only after I bought the Forte liquid. I'm familiar with D-76, but don't mind trying this out.

Any help?

Thanks,
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jimmy, the Massive Dev Chart for 3+1 Negafort gives 9 min at 20C for Fortepan 200

The Massive Dev Chart for undiluted D-76 gives 8 min at 20C for Fortepan 200

The Massive Dev Chart for undiluted D-76 gives 6 min at 20C for EFKE 25

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

Based on this information, I would use 6.75 minutes at 20C for EFKE 25 developed in 3+1 Negafort as a Time/Temperature starting point.

Assumption: 3+1 Negafort is approximately equal to undiluted D-76 (Based on the Massive Dev Chart information).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Jimmy, the Massive Dev Chart for 3+1 Negafort gives 9 min at 20C for Fortepan 200

The Massive Dev Chart for undiluted D-76 gives 8 min at 20C for Fortepan 200

The Massive Dev Chart for undiluted D-76 gives 6 min at 20C for EFKE 25

http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

Based on this information, I would use 6.75 minutes at 20C for EFKE 25 developed in 3+1 Negafort as a Time/Temperature starting point.

Assumption: 3+1 Negafort is approximately equal to undiluted D-76 (Based on the Massive Dev Chart information).
    Hi Tom,

The information on the Massive Development Chart is part of the confusion. As I wrote, it doesn't match what's on Forte's bottle, which is sitting on my desk. So I can't yet make a decision on whether I can use D-76 numbers or perhaps something else.

According to the bottle, at 3+1:

Fortepan 200 ASA -- 7min@20C.

Two minutes difference is quite a bit. Yeah, the easiest thing to do is to get off my duff and try it, but a clear answer to my question would help me to not reinvent the wheel.

So, if we go by the first set of information, 6.75 minutes is suggested. If we go by the second (7min@20C) - would you suggest 7.25 minutes? Which figure - why?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_in_Kyiv View Post
    Hi Tom,

The information on the Massive Development Chart is part of the confusion. As I wrote, it doesn't match what's on Forte's bottle, which is sitting on my desk. So I can't yet make a decision on whether I can use D-76 numbers or perhaps something else.

According to the bottle, at 3+1:

Fortepan 200 ASA -- 7min@20C.

Two minutes difference is quite a bit. Yeah, the easiest thing to do is to get off my duff and try it, but a clear answer to my question would help me to not reinvent the wheel.

So, if we go by the first set of information, 6.75 minutes is suggested. If we go by the second (7min@20C) - would you suggest 7.25 minutes? Which figure - why?
    Why? I decided to accept the numbers in the Massive Dev chart as a starting point. 9/8 = 1.125 and 6 x 1.125=6.75

Jimmy, what I would do is run a test with a 24 exposure roll of 35mm Fomapan 200. I would rate the film at ISO 200 and expose each frame to the same subject (something with a good scene brightness range). I would develop half the roll for 7 minutes at 20 C. I would develop the other half of the roll for 9 minutes at 20C. I would use the same agitation method for both halves.

Then I would visually evaluate the results and decide which result I liked best.

I use both Foma 200 and Efke 25. I develop these films either in 1+100 Rodinal or in 1+1+100 Pyrocat, using semi-stand agitation.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Why? I decided to accept the numbers in the Massive Dev chart as a starting point. 9/8 = 1.125 and 6 x 1.125=6.75

Jimmy, what I would do is run a test with a 24 exposure roll of 35mm Fomapan 200. I would rate the film at ISO 200 and expose each frame to the same subject (something with a good scene brightness range). I would develop half the roll for 7 minutes at 20 C. I would develop the other half of the roll for 9 minutes at 20C. I would use the same agitation method for both halves.

Then I would visually evaluate the results and decide which result I liked best.

I use both Foma 200 and Efke 25. I develop these films either in 1+100 Rodinal or in 1+1+100 Pyrocat, using semi-stand agitation.
    Tommy - in short, get off my duff and try it, because nobody who has actually used these combinations has responded.

The original query wasn't about Foma 200 anyway - it was about SFX200. The discrepency between the times on the MDC and the bottle was noted as source of my confusion, nothing more. I haven't seen Foma 200 in this country (Ukraine) in the 5 years I've lived here, though we do get the 100 on occasion at the Arsenal factory shop. We can get into why they build the Kiev 88 in Kyiv some other time.

I've got rolls of SFX and Efke 25 shot and waiting to be taken care of, and given empiracally-based answers, I'd come to the same conclusion - I won't be reinventing the wheel by doing this and might be able to contribute a little to APUG by working with it.

Thanks for the help, long live the Church of Rodinal!

Cheers,
    Jim
    Kyiv, Ukraine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_in_Kyiv View Post
    Tommy - in short, get off my duff and try it, because nobody who has actually used these combinations has responded.

The original query wasn't about Foma 200 anyway - it was about SFX200. The discrepency between the times on the MDC and the bottle was noted as source of my confusion, nothing more. I haven't seen Foma 200 in this country (Ukraine) in the 5 years I've lived here, though we do get the 100 on occasion at the Arsenal factory shop. We can get into why they build the Kiev 88 in Kyiv some other time.

I've got rolls of SFX and Efke 25 shot and waiting to be taken care of, and given empiracally-based answers, I'd come to the same conclusion - I won't be reinventing the wheel by doing this and might be able to contribute a little to APUG by working with it.

Thanks for the help, long live the Church of Rodinal!

Cheers,
    Jim
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Thanks Jim and long live the Church of Rodinal!
    Tom Hoskinson

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin