Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,074   Online: 781

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can also get Fuji Acros in 6.5x9 size. I bought some recently from Megaperls. I have the 6.5x9 plate holders & 2 film holding sheaths that sit inside the plate holder. I haven't tried this yet (too many things happening) but I'm sure it will work OK. I've also seen people in Germany selling Agfa RSX in 9x12 size so I'm hoping some 6.5x9 will surface as well. I have 6 plate holders but only 2 sheaths, so I'd like to get some more of them.
    I also got some Arista from Freestyle, not sure who manufactures it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you, David! That's exactly what I thought - the same external grooves and dimensions, but for a slightly different format... let's see first what would be my two holders. 99.9% probability is that they are 2.25x3.25" - after all, they come from the US

Regards,
    Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    2.25x3.25" (nominally 2x3") and 6.5x9cm holders have the same external dimensions, but the film size is different.

2x3" films I've used are J&C (Fortepan) 400 and 200 and Efke PL100. HP5+ is available. FP4+ might be made with the next special LF cutting, if enough people request it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Zhenya,

When J&C was closing it's doors, and selling out of everything, I loaded up on 6.5x9cm Efke PL100, buying ten big boxes at a good discount. Previously I had purchased 6.5x9cm J&C Classic 200 from them, which gives me a choice of flavors

All of this fits like a glove into the single-sheet holders for my Plaubel Makina and Plaubel Makiflexes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would suspect the film holders that fit your spring back are for 2.25x3.25. In the fifties, a lot of these type springbacks were sold in the back of photomagazines. I have the 3.25x4.25 springback for a 9x12 camera setup. I have looked for the equivelent in 2x3 size with no luck. I have a very nice 6.5x9 Zeiss Trona that never gets used because I don't feel like dealing with yet another film size and single sided film holders.

If you run across another slide in spring holder for 6.5x9 camera, let me know. I might just trade some 'new', still in box, 2.25x3.25 Graflex film holders for one.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tim,

I asked the seller to measure the opening of the holder - it is indeed 2.25x3.25", so that's the film format I have ordered from Freestyle The opening size should correspond to film size, and the inner holder's rails would eat away some space from longer sides of picture, right? The same thing with all current film holders, say, 4x5". The next step would be more holders - when my wallet is more full than now

I will tell you if I would ever meet such a spring back adapter again, of course. Well, I have solved my alike problem with Voigthlaender Avus (Heliar 105/4.5, perfectly clean) in a different way - I have bought a shabby 6x7 back for Mamiya RB67, cutting the grooves in it and shimming the ground glass appropriately. Now I have an excellent portable 6x7 folding camera with an automatic 120 film back, and not much alterations was made to camera itself )) It takes stunningly sharp and crisp pictures, as I have expected before attempting such a repair

Cheers,
    Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    I would suspect the film holders that fit your spring back are for 2.25x3.25. In the fifties, a lot of these type springbacks were sold in the back of photomagazines. I have the 3.25x4.25 springback for a 9x12 camera setup. I have looked for the equivelent in 2x3 size with no luck. I have a very nice 6.5x9 Zeiss Trona that never gets used because I don't feel like dealing with yet another film size and single sided film holders.

If you run across another slide in spring holder for 6.5x9 camera, let me know. I might just trade some 'new', still in box, 2.25x3.25 Graflex film holders for one.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For those of you who use it, what is the advantage of using this small sheet film? Is it meaningfully flatter than roll?

I have toyed with the idea of trying it.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Depends on the rollfilm back. Film flatness in Linhof Super-Rollex backs is outstanding, so there's not much difference there.

The format is a bit different. 56x72 is a little more square, and 2.25x3.25" is narrower and a little longer, but not as much as one might expect.

I find sheet film easier to file and manage, and I like the option of individual sheet development as opposed to carrying three rollfilm backs, but I can work both ways. I like Grafmatics for 4x5" and it feels natural to me to use them with 2x3". I shoot more rollfilm than 2x3 sheet. If you scan, it's often easier to cut the individual frame to be scanned from the roll, and you don't have to do that with sheet film.

I recently picked up a 2x3" sheet film back for my 4x5" Tech V, but haven't used it much yet, so I could get a little more use out of my 2x3" filmholders.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    For those of you who use it, what is the advantage of using this small sheet film? Is it meaningfully flatter than roll?

I have toyed with the idea of trying it.

Ya know? That's a hard call. I find the .25x3.25 sheet films a PitB to process, handle, etc. But I still do it occasionally. Someday I might find a reason to use it and I will still want it there. I prefer processing and printing 120 format but the 2x3 sheet film is still in my camera, and refrigerator. I would like to use my 6.5x9 Trona some day and the only way that will happen is with a spring back for 2x3 sheet film holders.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eumenius View Post
    Tim,

I will tell you if I would ever meet such a spring back adapter again, of course. Well, I have solved my alike problem with Voigthlaender Avus (Heliar 105/4.5, perfectly clean) in a different way - I have bought a shabby 6x7 back for Mamiya RB67, cutting the grooves in it and shimming the ground glass appropriately. Now I have an excellent portable 6x7 folding camera with an automatic 120 film back, and not much alterations was made to camera itself )) It takes stunningly sharp and crisp pictures, as I have expected before attempting such a repair

Cheers,
    Zhenya
    Hmmm. I have extra rb67 backs.... I have the tools to attempt this. Got pictures? A 105 lens with a 6x4.5 rb67 back sounds like a nice medium telephoto set up.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I carry a 2x3 Speed Graphic in a bag in the car all the time. Normally I have 5 holders with FP4 (1999) and a couple of film packs of old Tri X. Doesn't take up a lot of space and is fun to use. I process the sheet film in hangers and the film packs in a tray. The film packs also allow you to remove as many sheets as you expose to process and keep on using the pack. It's too bad that Kodak quit producing these gems.
    Regards
    Gord

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin